Top feedback summary for August 29

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello insiders, as we explained in our post last week, we’ll be providing regular updates that summarize the most significant feedback we’re hearing from you and offer the latest status on each item. We’ve intentionally kept our descriptions of each item as simple as possible so that the list is easy to read, but if you have questions about any item please feel free to raise them by commenting on this post.

We have received more than 140,000 individual pieces of feedback. This list represents the feedback we see most frequently. This list is not exhaustive, and we will be frequently addressing topics not on this list. We are always listening and so please keep sending us feedback using the Send feedback button in the toolbar.

First, I want to highlight what’s changed since our first feedback summary:

• In response to feedback about making it easier to get to your favorites, we have added a favorites button in the toolbar which allows quick one-click access to the favorites menu. Check it out in the Dev and Canary channels and let us know what you think!
  • We have added integration with Windows 10 sharing. On Windows 10 look for the Share option in the Settings and more (…) menu. You can share to people, devices, and other apps that support sharing. Please try your favorite share targets and let us know if you spot any issues.
  • We believe that issues with dropdown menus in web pages have been resolved by a fix in the Chromium code base. Please use the Send feedback smiley to let us know if you continue to see issues.

Here is the updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

Addressed

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

Addressed

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

Planned for September

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

1 week

Planned for September

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

1 week

Planned for October

Inking for PDF files

1 week

Planned for October

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

1 week

Planned for October

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

1 week

Planned for October

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

1 week

Planned for October

Enable search in the extensions store

1 week

Planned for October

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

1 week

Planned for October

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

1 week

Under Review

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the New Tab Page

1 week

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new Tab Page

1 week

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the New Tab Page to be configured with other search providers

1 week

Under Review

Provide the ability to change the tile of tiles on the New Tab Page

1 week

Under Review

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is

1 week

Under Review

Bring the tab set side feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

1 week

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

1 week

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

1 week

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

1 week

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the New Tab Page

1 week

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System, including less rounded tabs

1 week

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

1 week

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

1 week

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

1 week

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

1 week

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory and CPU than it does

1 week

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

1 week

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

1 week

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

1 week

Definitions:

Addressed – Feedback is addressed in current Canary builds.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

64 Replies

My install for Edge Dev has stopped loading web pages. It was working fine until I updated it. I am using Edge at work, in an enterprise environment. I had installed it with the option to do it as a non-admin, and it was fine. Now it loads all my tabs, but none of the pages load. My installs of Chrome and Firefox still work fine, it's just Edge that isn't loading pages.

I have the same problem Edge DEV was working fine but now it will not load at all I just get the error message "Something went wrong" I had to uninstall it and go to Canary not good!

@Bibbit 

I uninstalled and reinstalled today. Now it's working. Go figure...

Super excited for the implementation to provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website.

I joined specifically to mention that this should be a feature and here it is already planned. Loving this version of Edge so far, keep it up folks!
Having been non-step on Canary build since the launch of Edge insider program, I've had none of these weird issues, ever.
it's the safest and most stable version.
i still have no idea why people still use Dev.

i mean there is a newer version of the program but you intentionally choose to use an older version.
if these problems occurred in Canary build, it would have been solved in less than 24 hours.

@David Rubino Thanks for all the updates, but I notice there seems to be a lack of information about when we're getting Tab and History sync?

This is such a key feature of Chrome and essential to making the browser useful on multiple computers and devices.

Is there an actual ETA, as I notice Sync has fallen off the "coming soon" list too?

Thanks!

@HotCakeX 

I'm assuming that once everything for stable is done in canary and they start experimenting with stuff that might never make it to stable is when canary becomes incredibly unstable like chrome canary is.

I don't think so. maybe Microsoft's Canary version is gonna be stable like this. it's been like this for months now.
Google chrome canary is Not incredibly unstable. i've bee using it for a long time too as my main browser.

Yeah. Google Chrome Canary has been around since 2011 on PC/MAC. About 2016 on Android/IOS. I was using it up into this month on PC (still have it on Android), but discontinued since I wrote a bat file that allows me to run Chromium with an auto-updater a few times a day. Auto-updater was made by Hristo Bogdanov over at https://chromium.woolyss.com/#updater 

Chromium is sort of where it starts and then branches down into Canary each night for Google. I'm not sure how Edge works with that. Anyhow, only on occasion was Canary unstable on Chrome. Usually if they were testing something major like a new feature or bug report testing. It's basically new minor features or revisions or bug testing. I don't even want to say once in a blue moon it crashed, and the few times it did it was corrected by next day's build release (or a revised same day released). I'm going to assume Edge Canary will be the same if they keep it going as seems like with Chrome to be an ongoing project or tree branch flow. 

Chrome Canary when released every night posts what they worked on that day's build from Chromium under "change log" of your OS's of Google Chrome Canary (or Dev, Beta). I'm not sure if Edge will do the same. Here it is:  https://omahaproxy.appspot.com/   

I think Microsoft Edge Canary is different and more stable than Chrome canary. they rarely release new builds every nigh, usually takes 2 or 3 days, i think they do some bug fixing during that time.

Yeah, and I think Edge manually uploads and updates Canary too. I think...not sure though whereas Chrome Canary is done by a bot each night (including weekends and holidays) 

"Canary receives updates daily from a bot that automatically compiles and sends the latest structure of the source tree (Chromium). This process isn't overlooked by a human, which is enough reason to explain why it's the most unstable Chrome channel."

In other words, each night a Google bot updates their Canary up from Chromium (auto adding the rest of the Google stuff) usually from the most stable revisions of that days' Chromium build, in which case Chromium also moves up one build on the scale.

It's good Microsoft is not doing the same mistake

@David Rubino 

clipboard_image_0.png

Please don't.
I see no particular reason to allow this.

Agree! Why would you allow/givepermission to a super major datamining company like google to track what your doing from an MS browser.... You might as well take your tracking protection feature and throw it in the trash....

Dennis5mile

@goodddayy99 

Probably, seeing as how now the curves in the tabs are miniscule now, there isn't much they can do except give them a 90 degree angle.

@FrankDeNunzio 

Yes, I had this problem too, even if I hit sign in with another account I won't be able to change the username before I am redirected to the site. The only way I've been able to stop it is if I hit the quit loading page x.

@goodddayy99 @Elliot Kirk 

In old edge, the blue InPrivate logo was a replacement for the set tabs aside feature, so that the layout wouldn't change. It would therefore make sense if they added those two features at the same time.

@cjc2112 

I finally found this flag "Fill password on account selection" which gets the setting to work. Why does MS include a setting that only works if a flag is enabled? Sorry, I love where Edge is going but this is typical MS. I thought the Edge team was trying to shed that image...  we'll see.

@FrankDeNunzio 

I enabled the flag but it didn't fix the problem, but I was able to recreate the problem in the feedback hub, so hopefully they fix it.

@cjc2112 

Hi,

Edge developers pay more attention to the Feedbacks sent directly from inside the Edge insider browser.

i think it's better to recreate the problem using the smiley button at top. you can add custom screenshots and everything to it as well.

Annotation 2019-09-08 194140.png