Top feedback summary for August 29

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello insiders, as we explained in our post last week, we’ll be providing regular updates that summarize the most significant feedback we’re hearing from you and offer the latest status on each item. We’ve intentionally kept our descriptions of each item as simple as possible so that the list is easy to read, but if you have questions about any item please feel free to raise them by commenting on this post.

We have received more than 140,000 individual pieces of feedback. This list represents the feedback we see most frequently. This list is not exhaustive, and we will be frequently addressing topics not on this list. We are always listening and so please keep sending us feedback using the Send feedback button in the toolbar.

First, I want to highlight what’s changed since our first feedback summary:

• In response to feedback about making it easier to get to your favorites, we have added a favorites button in the toolbar which allows quick one-click access to the favorites menu. Check it out in the Dev and Canary channels and let us know what you think!
  • We have added integration with Windows 10 sharing. On Windows 10 look for the Share option in the Settings and more (…) menu. You can share to people, devices, and other apps that support sharing. Please try your favorite share targets and let us know if you spot any issues.
  • We believe that issues with dropdown menus in web pages have been resolved by a fix in the Chromium code base. Please use the Send feedback smiley to let us know if you continue to see issues.

Here is the updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

Addressed

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

Addressed

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

Planned for September

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

1 week

Planned for September

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

1 week

Planned for October

Inking for PDF files

1 week

Planned for October

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

1 week

Planned for October

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

1 week

Planned for October

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

1 week

Planned for October

Enable search in the extensions store

1 week

Planned for October

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

1 week

Planned for October

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

1 week

Under Review

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the New Tab Page

1 week

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new Tab Page

1 week

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the New Tab Page to be configured with other search providers

1 week

Under Review

Provide the ability to change the tile of tiles on the New Tab Page

1 week

Under Review

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is

1 week

Under Review

Bring the tab set side feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

1 week

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

1 week

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

1 week

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

1 week

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the New Tab Page

1 week

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System, including less rounded tabs

1 week

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

1 week

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

1 week

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

1 week

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

1 week

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory and CPU than it does

1 week

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

1 week

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

1 week

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

1 week

Definitions:

Addressed – Feedback is addressed in current Canary builds.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

64 Replies

@David Rubino 

I'm glad to know that some things I proposed are being considered.
Thanks.

@Elliot Kirk 

Could you please please please at the very least make the inprivate icon blue? Like how old edge was?

inprivate.png

@Elliot Kirk Thanks for mentioning the Alt + Shift + I shortcut! However, it doesn't appear to solve the issue of not being able to capture screenshots of menus: it seems that the Alt key closes menus (except in the case of the Global Media Controls menu and the Feedback popup, which just cause the shortcut to do nothing when it is open).

I also can't find the ability to upload files and reproduce the problem via the diagnostic data link as mentioned by @Dennis5mile. I'll admit that I've always ignored that being a link before, but clicking the link only brings up a set of toggles without either of the above options and there is no way to double click or right click on the link.

Note that I'm using version 78.0.249.1 on the Dev Channel.

@hereforedge wrote:

I also can't find the ability to upload files and reproduce the problem via the diagnostic data link as mentioned by @Dennis5mile. I'll admit that I've always ignored that being a link before, but clicking the link only brings up a set of toggles without either of the above options and there is no way to double click or right click on the link.

Note that I'm using version 78.0.249.1 on the Dev Channel.

@hereforedge 

That is because it is only available in Canary, Version 78.0.262.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit).  With the Attach a file option you can upload as many screenshots as you want or any other file I believe for that matter..... 

Smiley Options.jpg

It might be a part of the update that they were not able to upload for Dev this past week and you will have to wait for it whenever they upload the next update for Dev....

Dennis5mile

Thank you! I believe once yous ship dark scroll bars, dark mode will be complete!
The shortcut to launch the Feedback Smiley is Alt+Shift+I :grinning_face:

@Dennis5mile Ah! Many thanks for clarifying! I'll look forward to that feature making it into the Dev Channel then.

Thank you. It's nice to know that you're listening and not just throwing aside suggestions that are too hard.

@David Rubino ,

Thanks SO much for providing all of this information, the item that I'm excited about is this:

Planned for September

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

Nice find mate, how did you know that

@David Rubino The addition of the favorite button is amazing, but it should be a pane not a menu like it  is now in Edge Canary. The style of the favorite pane from the current Edge is great because it is so fluent  with the rest of the browser interface. And that gives a modern look, also when a clean setup is commenced only the current Edge favorites should  appear, for example; Edge should be the first section in the pane then other browser favorites in the next panes if chosen to import those favorites. Because having them mixed  isn't great because, the user has to go all the way to the bottom to find their favorites from Edge than open another interface from that favorite menu. 

I think Chrome is trying to stay one step ahead or different lol. Both Chromium and Chrome Canary are experimenting in flags with an extensions button to menu while Edge just added the favorites button to menu yet Chromium/Chrome doesn't have the favorites button to menu option (and it's not in their flags). If that makes sense lol. The extension button looks and acts the same in Chromium as the favorites button does in Edge C. The favorites button in Edge is for me, it does what it's suppose to do without being over complicated (even though I currently have it hidden due to using the favorites toolbar instead).

Chromium:

Capture.JPG

Yes totally agree the current Edge's UI is the best!
also about bookmark/favorites import from other browsers, they do get added in a separate folder. for example when i import my favorites from google chrome, they go to a folder called google chrome or something like that in the Edge insider favorites list.
Yeah i know right? when i hover my mouse cursor over it doesn't say anything, there is also no indication of possible shotcuts for that. i'm interested to know how did he find out.

@David Rubino  Please look at fixing the ESC key causing Full Screen minimizing issue on Mac :x

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/How-to-disable-ESC-from-exiting-Full-Screen-on-Ma...

@Deleted agreed on themes, and honestly, 99% of chrome themes are dreadful and majority of users dont even know they exist. Would be better to add theme customization in the future, if anything; just basic color changes, nothing wild.

@matb86 I got the Atlantic Canary theme going for my Edge Canary now. It's groovy! lol. Chrome user created themes have some good themes. Some are pretty bad or overuse of colors, I admit that, but many are good too. 

Capture.JPG

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/atlantic-canary/kdhdhbgeochfkblomjngbnebbmoeblpg

https://mspoweruser.com/chromium-edge-supports-chrome-themes-heres-how-to-install-them/

I think the same result could be achieved by setting the Edge to use light color and set Windows color to yellowish. cause in your picture the title bar is colored but not the toolbar which is the only reason one would use themes, right?

@HotCakeX  Chrome store has a banana theme that covers the whole bar. Two versions, but it was too yellow for me which is why I went with the more simple yellow. The mix of light theme with the Windows color is a good option too (and a good future option to add to edge. Such as clicking an icon button and bringing up the Windows color panel that links to Edge so user can pick the color scheme tone they wish. I would perfer to tone my own color than finding a close enough matching theme). Although with theme options (or having both theme options and windows color panel option) is the ability to use picture themes or picture themes with colors. Such as the one in my third picture. 

Capture.JPG

4.JPG

3.JPG

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/into-the-mist/mgihmkgobaljfehcadcckdggpeojaadh

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/banana/cdkecinaonohgbmhojlaeeoalomfhlal

@Dennis5mile Both the ability to upload files as well as the repro mode functionality when submitting feedback are currently under a controlled rollout, which is why not everybody has them yet.  In general, we also tend to roll out to Canary before Dev, which is probably why you're only seeing it in Canary right now.