Top feedback summary for August 29

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello insiders, as we explained in our post last week, we’ll be providing regular updates that summarize the most significant feedback we’re hearing from you and offer the latest status on each item. We’ve intentionally kept our descriptions of each item as simple as possible so that the list is easy to read, but if you have questions about any item please feel free to raise them by commenting on this post.

We have received more than 140,000 individual pieces of feedback. This list represents the feedback we see most frequently. This list is not exhaustive, and we will be frequently addressing topics not on this list. We are always listening and so please keep sending us feedback using the Send feedback button in the toolbar.

First, I want to highlight what’s changed since our first feedback summary:

• In response to feedback about making it easier to get to your favorites, we have added a favorites button in the toolbar which allows quick one-click access to the favorites menu. Check it out in the Dev and Canary channels and let us know what you think!
  • We have added integration with Windows 10 sharing. On Windows 10 look for the Share option in the Settings and more (…) menu. You can share to people, devices, and other apps that support sharing. Please try your favorite share targets and let us know if you spot any issues.
  • We believe that issues with dropdown menus in web pages have been resolved by a fix in the Chromium code base. Please use the Send feedback smiley to let us know if you continue to see issues.

Here is the updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

Addressed

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

Addressed

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

Planned for September

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

1 week

Planned for September

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

1 week

Planned for October

Inking for PDF files

1 week

Planned for October

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

1 week

Planned for October

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

1 week

Planned for October

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

1 week

Planned for October

Enable search in the extensions store

1 week

Planned for October

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

1 week

Planned for October

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

1 week

Under Review

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the New Tab Page

1 week

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new Tab Page

1 week

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the New Tab Page to be configured with other search providers

1 week

Under Review

Provide the ability to change the tile of tiles on the New Tab Page

1 week

Under Review

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is

1 week

Under Review

Bring the tab set side feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

1 week

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

1 week

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

1 week

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

1 week

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the New Tab Page

1 week

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System, including less rounded tabs

1 week

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

1 week

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

1 week

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

1 week

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

1 week

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory and CPU than it does

1 week

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

1 week

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

1 week

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

1 week

Definitions:

Addressed – Feedback is addressed in current Canary builds.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

64 Replies

@David Rubino 

They seem good but one of the most important one is missing:

Ability to attach custom screenshots when sending Feedback using smiley button.

there are lots of Feedbacks about UI and other bugs missing because the auto screen capture feature is not enough and won't work in many situations. because when we click on the smiley button, that situation and bug will be gone and we won't be able to capture it with the current tool. we have to use another tool such as Windows' snipping tool or Snip & Sketch.

These tools i mentioned have the ability to be launched using a keyboard button like PrintScrn.

so no mouse movement or mouse click will intervene.

Alternative is to Add a shortcut button to launch the "Send Feedback" inside Edge insider browser.

Thank you but what about the scrollbar still being light when Edge is in dark mode? Here is the Chromium issue for it, please get this one done :( https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=985408

@David Rubino - thank you for the updates. A few notes from me:

- make the address bar smaller. A "normal" 9pt font is enough there

- cut a few pixels from the favorites bar

- enable a "compact" mode like in, for example, the Mail app, which would make all menu items have less padding, similar to how the default context menu looks like in Explorer

- dark mode improvements: the new tab page should, of course, become darker. Reduce all kinds of white flicker when opening a new tab

- dark mode: a dark scrollbar is a must

- we need Edge to be the best possible demonstration of Fluent. Add acrylic stuff, reveal stuff, everything ;) Rounded corners are fine

Minor stuff:

- add the ability to hide extension icons like in Vivaldi. Do not hide them in the [...] menu, just roll them into a single icon

- add the ability to disable all extensions for a particular website

- add separators to favorites, including the favorites bar

- don't just look at feedback sent by the feedback smiley icon, but also this forum ;)

- add "show image" to context menu, besides the "open image in new tab". 

- add a context menu to all possible places in the UI. I see my profile icon and don't want to? Let me right click it and select "hide profile icon", etc.

- change DirectWrite contrast value for fonts to make them more like in original Edge and Firefox. The letters in Chromium based browsers are often too thin

- make pinned tabs impossible to close, for example, if the browser crashes for some reason and I don't click the 'restore tabs' option, the browser should start with a home tab *and* previously pinned tabs

edit to add:

- the favorites icon shows my favorites bar list, it should only show "other favorites"

- add the ability to move the toolbar buttons

- add "rewind" and "fast forward" buttons. Could be as an advanced appearance setting if considered confusing to some users

That's about it for now ;)

Sadly no mention of the one thing without which I cannot use Edge as my day to day browser - middle-button click (or  something else easy to do single handed) on a favorite e.g in the favorite bar folder drop-down menus (but also on favorites in the --- menu) opening the favorite in a background tab but leaving the menu (and any submenus) open for opening further favorites without having to re-open and re-navigate to them.

The lack of this is why I have never used Google Chrome as my browser, and so long as Edge lacks it I won't do more than odd bits of testing on Edge either.

@David Rubino wrote:

Hello insiders, as we explained in our post last week, we’ll be providing regular updates that summarize the most significant feedback we’re hearing from you and offer the latest status on each item. We’ve intentionally kept our descriptions of each item as simple as possible so that the list is easy to read, but if you have questions about any item please feel free to raise them by commenting on this post.

Here is the updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Planned for October

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

1 week

Planned for October

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

1 week

These 2 can be fixed/turned on via Flags in the latest version of Canary

Admin mode flag.jpg

click once flag.jpg

Also agree 100% with @HotCakeX suggestion about the ability to send more pictures.  One is just not enough to show the real problem.  

@David Rubino 

Dennis5mile

@David Rubino 

Also for the sake of all loyal Microsoft users, don't add the feature to login with Google account in Microsoft Edge browser. you've spent lots of times removing Google services from the engine, it doesn't make sense to add them again.

Only do it After Google adds login with Microsoft account to their Chrome browser first.

Fully Agree!!!

Dennis5mile

@David Rubino wrote:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System, including less rounded tabs

1 week

So does this mean you will make it look like the old edge UI because that one was much better and gave edge its own distinctive feeling.

Agreed. It serves no purpose. Good import of bookmarks, passwords, etc. but integrating with their services, even optional, is not cool.

Support for themes from the Google store also doesn't sound like a good thing. Keep evolving the Edge UI and "un-chrome" it - keeping compatibility with Chrome themes sounds like not much will change in the future and that sounds wrong ;)

@HotCakeX If you double click on the Diagnostic Data, it'll let you attach a file from your computer. I do agree that's it's not super obvious though

@Deleted wrote:

@HotCakeX If you double click on the Diagnostic Data, it'll let you attach a file from your computer. I do agree that's it's not super obvious though

@Deleted 

Not only lets you attach a file, but has option to reproduce the problem, much like the feedback Hub for windows...  Come on team people..... 

Well, I'll be!!  This is important info that should have been shared a long, LONG time ago....  :facepalm:

Dennis5mile

Mea Culpa.  @Dennis5mile, I will take responsibility for this one.  I try to highlight the most impactful updates as they release, either in an article here or into a blog post.  I missed this change entirely.  I will work with the team to get a write up of the new options and how to find them as soon as I can.  Thanks - Elliot

*Edit*

I also wanted to call out that we do have a keyboard shortcut for our Send Feedback control, it is Alt + Shift + I

Hi @Bdsrev, I recognize this question from our Reddit AMA.  I wrote up an answer to this, but it got lost in the chaos and was never published.  So without further ado, here is our response about the scrollbars in Microsoft Edge not being dark when the browser is in dark mode:

"We are aware of this issue, it has several pieces to it. we have already added dark mode to the browser frame scroll bars. There are also web page scroll bars and we are working on getting those to display properly, but do not have an ETA at this time. - Elliot"

Hi @goodddayy99, we will never end up looking exactly like the current version of Microsoft Edge, but we will continue to add new visual treatments that differentiate our browser from others.  The Fluent design guidelines are evolving constantly, and our designers work closely with that team to stay up to date with the guidelines.  We have already made changes to many controls in our user interface and more are coming.  Thanks - Elliot

@Elliot Kirk wrote:

Mea Culpa.  @Dennis5mile, I will take responsibility for this one.  I try to highlight the most impactful updates as they release, either in an article here or into a blog post.  I missed this change entirely.  I will work with the team to get a write up of the new options and how to find them as soon as I can.  Thanks - Elliot

*Edit*

I also wanted to call out that we do have a keyboard shortcut for our Send Feedback control, it is Alt + Shift + I

@Elliot Kirk 

Cool Thanks Elliot,

Dennis5mile

@David Rubino 

Favorites button is about 75% done I'd say

It was 100% done until someone changed the icon from the correct one (classic edge has four bars) to this three bar one. Please revert this completely unneded change. It just breaks existing screenshots in instructions and so on without creating any new value

Besides from that the button is good. Now we want the submenu in favorites ;)

@Elliot Kirk 

Please keep in mind that every change away from classic edge in the gui costs money for changing guides, instructions and so on. Not all users are computer pros

@David Rubino 

Please fix: Edge automatically signs me into accounts when the Settings>Profiles>Passwords>Sign in automatically = Off

Please add:

- More granular control of tracker exceptions directly from address bar fly-out. 

- Add granular control on individual script exceptions directly from address bar fly-out.  Brave Beta browser (= Edge Dev) has this feature and it's great.

@DavidGB I agree as I do the same all the time but for now it closes menu and I need reopen and scroll down to next fav.