SOLVED

This page is having problems

Brass Contributor

Hello everybody!

I started using Microsoft Edge Dev some months ago and everything went smoothly until today: I turned on my laptop, opened Edge Dev and noticed that it is not working anymore at all.

image.png

Any page that I try to open (even the welcome tab) doesn't load and moreover the only two extensions that I installed (uBlock Origin and Norton Password Manager) are crashing.

I would like to check the log file (if any) in order to understand a little bit better what's going wrong under the hood.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 1903, unfortunately I can't provide the Edge Dev version since the "about" tab is not working. Trying to download and run the latest installer from the web did not help.

56 Replies

@V-FRROME 

I'm still having this issue, on both Dev and Beta channels, and it's happening on multiple computers (one personal, one corp). Both a  Dell computers if that's worth anything (an XPS 13 2-in-1 7390 and a Latitude 7480), with Symantec Endpoint Protection on the work Latitude. As for extensions, I only have 2 - 1Password X and Momentum Dashboard.

The --disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity flag does seem to fix it for me on both computers that is failing. Prior to this, I noticed that reinstalling would fix the problem for a while, but then it would just show up out of the blue for no reason when starting the app sometime... Pages wouldn't load, and even the About and Preferences wouldn't load.

@dansauve 

I have found that if I use the --disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity", Edge works to at lease allow me to get into extensions.  Once in Extensions, if I enable "Allow extensions from other stores" then remove the RendererCodeIntegrity switch, then the Edge issue seems to be resolved.  I am using SEP 14.2.4814.1101 (aka 14.2 RU1 MP1).

Thank you! I'll try this next time is if the issue persists. The issue I had with adding the arguments to the executable is that if I launched EdgeDev from a hyperlink (in Outlook for example) it still wouldn't work because those arguments aren't passed (even adter I ensured that allowing extensions from other stores was enabled).

Luckily, seems like MS is listening and I see in this week's dev release v79.0.294.1 the following:

"Temporarily disabled Renderer Code Integrity by default to prevent situations where it causes all tabs to crash upon loading."

Hopefully this means that this shouldn't be an issue at all now even when Edge is launched without a shortcut including those arguments.

I'm getting this same error page on most sites.

I'm using Edge Dev 79.0.294.1 on Win10 1903 and don't have any Symantec  Software (I'm using Windows Defender)

This switch doesn't help

"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application\msedge.exe" --profile-directory=Default --disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity

This means I've had to go back to the original Edge for my browsing (ironically the Chromium issue page won't load in that!).

@thommck manually disabling the Renderer Code Integrity won't help you since it is already disabled by default as already stated by @dansauve.

I guess you are currently experiencing a different kind of issue.

Just updated Edge Dev to Version 80.0.345.0 and I'm experiencing this issue again, so I've had to put the switch back in to disable Renderer Code Integrity:

--disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity

Looking through the release notes for this version I can't see any explicit mention of this feature being enabled again, but it was stated previously that it was only disable temporarily, so it seems like it's now back? (Or it may have happened in a previous release that I missed?)

Is there any more insight into fixing this issue?

yes, the problem is back for me too, and I'm using the same flag for workaround

I'm back to the same issue as well. Same work around in place.

Me too.
Mine has started working again since the Edge Beta updated to version:
79.0.309.43 (Official build) beta (64-bit)

So I'm no longer using the --no-sandbox switch

@thommck-on-twitter Unfortunately the Dev version from early last week or the week before has reintroduced the issue, so depending on whether or not they fix it before the next Beta release you may need to keep the flag handy. 

Also still an issue in dev channel version 80.0.361.5 (Dec 17)
Yes, it appears the issue is back. The fix of disabling RendererCodeIntegrity bypasses the issue. If it matters we do not use Symantec, we use Cylance.

after upgrade edge chromium 79.0.309.71 to 80.0.361.48

(windows 10-1909 with 79.0.309.71  no problem)

..This page is having problem  same as Chrome 79.xxx  (show error Aw Snap......)

i'm solve by...

1.  add --disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity to shortcut

2. or set compatible to Windows 8 with change setting for all users

@9POLsame here and its no option to disable it for devices via gpo because as Microsoft says in its own gpo comment "Disabling this policy has a detrimental effect on Microsoft Edge's security and stability because unknown and potentially hostile code will be allowed to load inside Microsoft Edge's renderer processes."

now we can choose between insecurity through disabling render integrity or through not updating edge to this latest version but its an security update. Thanks ;)

This problem is back for me (again, ugh) in 81.0.416.3

my problem was solved after updating Symantec Endpoint Protection to 14.2.5569.2100

https://support.symantec.com/de/de/article.tech256047.html