The new omnibox is hideous and hard to see

Iron Contributor

Today's Canary update changed the omnibox:

Annotation 2019-09-24 164508.jpg

The new version is really hard too see in light mode. Please reconsider this change.

28 Replies

@19lmyers 

Classic Edge and new Edge insider are the same in terms of omnibox color in dark mode.

this is Edge insider

Annotation 2019-09-29 220505.png

This is Classic Edge

Annotation 2019-09-29 220447.png

It's not false.
see my reply above.
when in dark theme, both of their omnibox colors are the same.
they only differ when theme is set to the light. and that's not an issue nor a bug.

@HotCakeX Just because you don't use light mode doesn't mean this isn't a bug. If the desired behavior by the developers is to match classic Edge, then light mode fails that right now.

And besides, it turns out you're also wrong about dark mode as well:

Annotation 2019-09-29 114202.jpg

Interestingly, you seem to be talking about the omnibox dropdown. I never actually mentioned the dropdown, but for clarity's sake, I'll upload a comparison for it too.

browser-compare.png

While Canary does accurately follow Classic Edge's color scheme, it looks odd considering that Edge Insider uses a much lighter grey for the browser chrome. The desaturated blue is also directly taken from Google's color palette and is probably not intentional.

Light theme comparison omitted as the background color is the same for all three (the only difference is the corner radius).

I never said I don't use light theme.

you have to click on the omnibox, of course without clicking and drop down suggestion menu they look the same. instead of accusing others of lying and lying start paying more attention to the picture. I already showed you in the picture with drop down menu.
unless you're an Edge developer, you can't say it came from Chrome without developer's intention.

@HotCakeX This entire thread is about the omnibox. Not the dropdown. I don't get why I had to explain this.

It's part of the omnibox. that's why

"It is a bug that omnibox blends in with the rest of the UI to stop causing distraction for the user when viewing main page contents in websites?"

I already provided my evidence. It's the same colour as Google's grey. Microsoft doesn't use the same palette.

And well, if they wanted the omnibox to blend in with the rest of the chrome, they'd do that instead of forgetting to change the colour.

and to resole your argument with 19lmyers, the resting state of the omnibox has a different colour to the hovered and focused omnibox. simple as that. and this is about the light theme. not the dark/InPrivate theme.

Edit: and I hope both of you have a nice and happy day! 

if you're wondering why i'm saying this a little randomly, I'm hoping that by in me saying it, others will reciprocate as I'm not really doing well 

off topic:

What countries are you guys from? :D I'm from Australia!

Check again now after updating your Canary build, both in dark and light mode, it's changed.
Version 79.0.290.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

I completely agree it was a bug and they've thankfully changed it back to the way it was. Much better now!