Task View doesn't work for Edge Chromium

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help puzzle this one out. 

Edge Chromium doesn't seem to want to respond to Task View. It neither lists sites I've visited, nor responds to clicking on previous links from there. It worked as intended in regular Edge.

For instance, If I visit a site in regular Edge, it's reflected in Task View. I have an entry, and I can click on it to resume/reload that site. When I use Edge Chromium, this doesn't work anymore. Doubly, it no longer functions with regular Edge if I have Edge Chromium installed. I have to uninstall Edge Chromium for it to function again, regardless of what my default browser is set as.

I tried extensions like Web Activities, which is an official release from Microsoft, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I still get the same behavior. I also tried the sfc scan command and it comes back as fine.

Can anyone offer any insight?

5 Replies

@Granger52 

Hi there,
in order for web history and visited websites to appear in the Task View (a.k.a Windows Timeline), the Edge insider browser needs to have the History syncing option turned on.
currently History syncing is not implemented yet in the browser (grayed out in the picture) but once it is, Task View will show you the relevant information.
so be sure that there is nothing wrong with your Windows.

Annotation 2019-08-27 132627.png

About the Web activities extension from Microsoft, I personally tried it both on Google Chrome and Edge insider. it doesn't immediately start syncing but after few days the web history shows up in the Task View.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I did notice that setting in the Sync menu, which is part of the reason I had a look for extensions.

It's good to know you got it to work after a few days. Do you have any idea why existing links won't open? Will only the newly created entries be able to be opened?

I've just tried it, clicked on an entry (from August 1st) in my Task view that belonged to the built-in Edge's web history and the website loaded in my Edge insider which is my default browser.
Windows 10 latest ver.

@HotCakeX 

Thanks for testing that.

Weird, it doesn't work for me. The only way I've to work again is to unistall Edge Chromium. It'll open in regular Edge after that. Won't open in either when they're both installed.

You're welcome,
definitely a weird bug that is.