Super High CPU usage on Windows - i9 9900K + Edge insider Canary

MVP

Hi,

I've been having this problem with Edge insider Canary for almost more than a month,

right now it's Version 79.0.305.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) and the problem still exists. I thought it would fix on its own but no matter how much I waited, it's not getting fixed..

this problem used to happen on my system having Intel i7 7700K and

now it's happening on my system running Intel i9 9900K.

happens on a variety of Windows 10 insider builds, now it's 18999

Annotation 2019-10-15 220108.png

1/4 of Intel i9 9900K is used by Edge insider! that's really too much processing power. and it happens very often.

most of the time it happens on https://vk.com/feed, YouTube.com and on this forum.

I Can't tell what is causing this because:

• 1. when it happens, the browser hangs and CPU usage and temperature keeps going up until I have to force close Edge from the task manager or keep clicking on the X button on that problematic tab until it comes out of hanging state for at least 1 millisecond and decides to registers my mouse click and closes that tab.
  • 2. when it happens, the browser task manager also hangs so I can't check anything.
  • 3. when it happens, it also prevents me from using feedback smiley button and its problem recording feature. I previously asked developers to Separate that feedback and problem recording functionality from the browser core so that when problems like this happens and the browser itself goes into hanging state and becomes unresponsive, the feedback section would be responsive at all times and record what is wrong with the browser.

the problem is not related to any flags or browser settings, not related to smart screen, neither is it related to extensions, I've tested all of that.

I hope developers give us some ways to produce a Meaningful and technical feedback for them to find out what's wrong.

2 Replies

Hi @HotCakeX, would you like some of our engineers to reach out to you and help you collect some instrumentation that would allow us to better understand what is going on?  Thanks - Elliot

Hi, of course, that'd be my pleasure!