Still no scroll bars on New Tab/Start page! Can't be just me!

Brass Contributor

Ever since Edge Chromium was released, there have been no scroll bars on the New Tab/Start pages. I have reported this numerous times and it still has not been fixed. This problem makes it almost impossible to read the news on that page. I would like to use the Dev version for my default browser, but I am tired of going back to regular Edge to read the news. Am I the only one that has this problem? I know a lot of people have their own start pages, but I like the furnished one. I would think you would want to fix that just to leave a better impression for new users. If they can't use that page and don't know how to change it, they are going to be unhappy. Please fix this! It can't be that difficult to fix.

Thanks, Mike

33 Replies

@Jacques Van de Meerssche 

"What I really would like is a back to top button"

Hi Jacques,

That is right HERE :lol: I have been happily using it for a long time.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Limyx826 Exactly, scroll bars provide a quick way to get to the bottom or the top.  They also provide a way of reading the news without having the constant refreshing that takes place as you scroll down. If you use the arrow at the bottom of the scroll bar to scroll down, instead of clicking on the scroll bar itself and moving the mouse down, you don't get that constant refreshing that cause you to lose you place on the page. 

@HotCakeX You're right and if it wasn't missing I would be very happy!

So you would recommend that MS removes the back to top button from pages like the tech community one we are on here and that we install this outside extension? I still think it should be baked in  @Drew1903. This tech community page is short and doesn't really need it but the newsfeed page is almost endless. So why provide it here and not where it is really needed? 

@Jacques Van de Meerssche 

Totally agree with you,
infinite scrolling pages do need a back to top button. this forum? not so much.
forum has scroll bars so one could drag it to the top but the news feed has neither of them.

I just tested it. My mouse wheel is set to scroll three lines per click. When I am at the bottom of the newsfeed page it takes twenty (20) spins of the mouse wheel to get back to the top of the page. Gets tiresome real quick!@HotCakeX 

Yeah that's tiring, totally get it

on a side note, I use a gaming mouse and it lets me set the wheel free to spin as long as it can before it's stopped. when i mix it with the option to scroll by pages instead of lines, it takes me to the top faster than the "back to top" button
Which is why the button can be nice. But, remember, this can always be done by just hitting the Home key, too.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Phone

Then why did you install that extension @Drew1903 ?

Jacques, because it is always nice having more than one way of doing something. And, certainly, if I am mousing about not, really, typing anything at that moment, then, the button is perfect. Or, maybe, I am using the keyboard and would the key. Often more than one way for the same thing with Win10. Cool, with choices available, to be able to use whatever is most comfy at any given moment.

Cheers,
Drew

PS: You can just please call me by my name, Drew. Thanks, Jacques :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

Sent from Windows Phone
The scrollbar is still necessary though

Hi @MrMikeH 

Good news!

they listened and added what was requested here, scrollbars on the new tab page/start page/NTP

here is the screenshot of it in the lastest Edge insider Version 80.0.359.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

fdfd.png

Also i tried it in all available NTP layout, the scrollbar is available in all of them :)

@HotCakeX   Great.  Now they just have to listen and add the scroll bad to the Favorites list OR add a way to control the speed of the scroll as that little arrow at the bottom is just way .. too .. dang .. slow.  It seems to me they keep changing things and removing features people have come to love and enjoy only to add new things to appeal to folks who want to see it work differently.  A great way to alienate people and force them over to other products.  I mean if you want to build the new tool on the Chrome Chasis then I might as well stop using MS products and go to Google, right???