Sharepoint features do not work in Edge Dev

Copper Contributor

I have noticed that all of the limitations of Chrome in Sharepoint are present in Edge Dev, such as opening links from a link library, opening files in a file library, converting lists to Excel, editing Form Fields, etc. The only workaround I've found is to use the IETab Chrome extension available in the Chrome web store, which allows some of the features unavailable for Chrome users in Sharepoint sites. The only one I've found so far that doesn't work is the Form Field edit feature, when clicked it says you must use Internet Explorer. IETab is a third-party extension so it would be terrific if the Microsoft developers working on chromium-based Edge Dev could add features to allow the new Edge to work with MS Sharepoint. At the moment, the same limitations apply to Edge Dev users as Chrome users. and only the IETab extension seems to help.

1 Reply

@C_Benson 

I have had my fair share of pains back when Edge was being rolled out, O365 in general, Admin Center and Sharepoint in particular were grave offenders of "stuff not working". It took several years for Edge to work reliably, even after released. 

It is super embarassing to either have to use an obsolete browser (IE, in the previous Edge rollout) or resort to Chrome or Firefox. Even the  O365 Microsoft Support recommended trying a different browser. 

Edge Dev is not released yet, but Microsoft's own platforms are the crown jewels and showcase of technology, they should be treated as first-class examples. During development, there should be extra resources dedicated to testing and making sure they work as expected from the get-go.