Share This Page?

Iron Contributor

The biggest feature I use with Edge is  the "Share This Page" button to Share the Page via installed apps.  Will this be brought over to the new Edge?  Without it I have no reason to use the new Edge.

45 Replies

@Sergio Hernandez @Greg Rachocki @Stuart Schifter @MikeGHouston

@Reportered 

This is to all interested parties:

3 parts to this answer...

1. The Share icon is expected to show at some point in the future & at least, by Edge C release.

2. AddtoAny only shares a page link, page URL.

3. Until Share icon is in the browser (which, also, accesses OneNote, btw) there IS an extension that does do what we want & are accustomed to sharing (except for accessing OneNote) which, is a lot more than just a URL.
It is called Clipular unnamed.png. It offers A LOT! Share page snips, full page, screen, mark up and heaps more.  And page URLs, too, of course (wink).  Heaps of Features & abilities!  For now, instead of Share, I highly recommend y'all try this. You can find it HERE.  

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@War_Eagle_73, thanks I like a lot that extension!!

@Elliot Kirk

It would be great if, when implemented, it could be implemented with a keyboard shortcut.

Thank you.

Tom Ward

@Tom Ward 

the button itself is added in the Edge Canary with the same functionality from the old Edge (share with link, with installed apps, with Cortana etc), they'll probably add a shortcut for it too.

Annotation 2019-08-25 120536.png

I'm trying it on the latest Windows 10 version. sharing with Your Phone app allows me to send a URL and open it on my Android phone!

Annotation 2019-08-25 120837.png

Yes I can confirm the share button do exist in edge canary

@Jeme950 @Greg Rachocki 

Thank you for the update /details.

Do you know if there will be a keyboard shortcut, not just a toolbar shortcut?

Thank you.

Tom Ward

Oh, did they add share page in this last update... I'm in a hospital bed at the moment and don't have my PC. Will be great when I get home to get to that. I used it a lot in old Edge

Dennis5mile
Yup just recently been added, you'll get it after update, hopefully

meanwhile Get well soon mate!
Thanks ! :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes: Hopefully I'll be home soon as they have ruled out strokes and seizures......

Dennis5mile

@Tom Ward 

Tom,

There isn't one, now, in Edge.  It's feels doubtful there would be one.  Maybe, suppose, who knows.  But, you can always make the suggestion to Feedback Hub or Mr. Smilely.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Dennis5mile 

Sorry to hear this, Dennis.  I trust you ok or will be soon.

Never mind anyone trying say this is Off-topic.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 @HotCakeX Back home now, Thanks Mates for caring!

Love that Share has been added!  Have tested it for both email and "Your Phone"  Both worked perfect, was great seeing the link open in Edge on my phone right to the item I sent....  

Now if we can add it to the top bar where it is in old edge that would be great.  Right clicking it gives no options to move it/add it.  Would like it up there with the fav button and the collections button....

Dennis5mile

That's good to hear!

about the button be added to the main toolbar at the top i don't think it's a good idea. comparing the old Edge with the new Edge insider toolbar, they are not the same at all.

the old Edge only has 5 items there and it's ok cause it doesn't support extensions (EdgeHTML extensions don't even count). but the new Edge has already too many icons up there.
the menu (3 dots) button, smiley button, fav button, collection button, the profile picture button, the global media controlls button and all other extension icon buttons that users need to add there for faster access. and it's not all, soon there will be more button such as set aside, reading list, Onenote button to take web notes, some other people even want a download button there like firefox has and god knows what else lol. it's gonna get messy so fast if the Edge team don't manage the UI correctly.

@HotCakeX,

I see your point.

I would just like a keyboard short cut.

Thank you.

Tom Ward

That's sounds like the best option,
make a shortcut for share in Edge browser and also make that shortcut universal in Windows OS. I'm reading these websites:
http://blog.drivethelife.com/windows-10/windows-shortcut-keys-use-windows-10.html
https://www.windowscentral.com/best-windows-10-keyboard-shortcuts

and they mention that Win key + H opens the share charm.
the articles 3 years old of course and the share charm menu is removed, but it would be great if MS implement the same thing again.
so for example Win + H (or any other combination) can be the universal share shortcut.
using it in Edge insider, in photo viewer, in paint3D, in office programs etc will launch the small share window which is the same in every program.

The toolbar icon is so key to Tablet mode. Is tablet mode dead? (Joking???)

@HotCakeX wrote:

That's good to hear!

about the button be added to the main toolbar at the top i don't think it's a good idea. comparing the old Edge with the new Edge insider toolbar, they are not the same at all.

the old Edge only has 5 items there and it's ok cause it doesn't support extensions (EdgeHTML extensions don't even count). but the new Edge has already too many icons up there.
the menu (3 dots) button, smiley button, fav button, collection button, the profile picture button, the global media controlls button and all other extension icon buttons that users need to add there for faster access. and it's not all, soon there will be more button such as set aside, reading list, Onenote button to take web notes, some other people even want a download button there like firefox has and god knows what else lol. it's gonna get messy so fast if the Edge team don't manage the UI correctly.

This is all so very true.   @HotCakeX   I to do like that idea @Tom Ward has for the short-cut keys.  Would make Share a super feature all through Windows not just from Edge.  And your right, the last thing we want is to be bloated down with all sorts of features/programs loading up each time we start Edge....   I do like the idea of having lots of features, but I don't think they should automatically load just because they come with Edge.  It should be a choice whether or not we want to use any of them.

Errrmm, I think I drifted off subject here.. lol

So far Share has worked perfectly for me.....

This is my old Edge toolbar 
Old Edge Tool Bar.jpg

Takes almost have the total space.

Dennis5mile

@Stuart Schifter 

@Stuart Schifter wrote:
The toolbar icon is so key to Tablet mode. Is tablet mode dead? (Joking???)

Sorry i didn't understand.

Hi @Dennis5mile, I am glad that you are out of the hospital and hopefully feeling better!  We just got the Share functionality, and aren't finished with it yet.  We hear that there is some desire to be able to pin it to the top of the browser, and also some push against it.  We added the Favorites button recently, along with a setting to hide it from the browser, and have it only available from the More (...) menu.  Would something like that work for this button?  I agree that there should be a hot key combo for sharing, and have shared this feedback with the team.  Thank you for continuing to try out our preview channels of the next version of Microsoft Edge browser, and more importantly for offering us your honest feedback.  Thanks - Elliot

@Elliot Kirk wrote:

Hi @Dennis5mile, I am glad that you are out of the hospital and hopefully feeling better!  We just got the Share functionality, and aren't finished with it yet.  We hear that there is some desire to be able to pin it to the top of the browser, and also some push against it.  We added the Favorites button recently, along with a setting to hide it from the browser, and have it only available from the More (...) menu.  Would something like that work for this button?  I agree that there should be a hot key combo for sharing, and have shared this feedback with the team.  Thank you for continuing to try out our preview channels of the next version of Microsoft Edge browser, and more importantly for offering us your honest feedback.  Thanks - Elliot

@Elliot Kirk 
Thanks for the well wishes, I'm only home because they could do nothing further at the hospital.  They have no idea what is causing me to have stroke/seizure like symptoms.  Have lots of Dr. follow-ups with Neurologists.  I can say it is no picnic when you shake all over, loose your hearing and eyesight, but sure am glad they all return when it is over.  

"We hear that there is some desire to be able to pin it to the top of the browser, and also some push against it."

Personally for me either way is fine as long as this feature is available..  Yes having it pinned to the top makes it faster and easier to get to, but 2 clicks is just as easy as well.   I would like to see it added to the right click fly out menu. 

You say "along with a setting to hide it from the browser",  but I can not find this setting anywhere.  I've right clicked all over the browser, have gone through settings and have gone all through the flags twice and find it no where.  Not even right clicking the "Share" word in the "..." menu.  Is this a given to a group of a select few?

So far the Share feature has worked without flaws while I share through an email, your phone, and OneNote.  Love it having this feature back as I used it a lot in old edge.

Thanks Team!

Dennis5mile