Settings and More (Alt+F) Surface Pen

Brass Contributor

I can use my mouse to open the ··· settings menu but when I press the on-screen button with my Surface Pen it doesn't activate. The account and feedback buttons both work as expected.

12 Replies

@P1000 

I have a similar issue, but it's with touch, not pen. I have a touch screen with no pen input capability, and I am unable to open the menu or do several other functions by touch. This is an 8" tablet, and I have to haul out a mouse when using Edge Canary right now, which kind of defeats the purpose of having the small tablet. 

@rhapdog 

Interesting, which other functions don't work for you by using touch?

@P1000 

When typing in the address bar, I am unable to tap a suggested completion. Instead of selecting that completion, it will just go to what I have typed so far, which is still incomplete.

I can't remember what else at the moment. I was late getting somewhere and didn't have time to write it down. As I rediscover, if I rediscover before fixed, I'll put the bug report in through the app's feedback as I did the other.

@P1000 wrote:

@rhapdog 

Interesting, which other functions don't work for you by using touch?

I agree...on a 10" tablet with touch in tablet mode I can not get to the "..." menu.

I can get to ">" more favorites and the smiley feedback button.

I have to use the virtual touchpad (not a physical mouse) to get it to work.

@P1000 

I have found a workaround to allow me to access my favorites and most other items that one would access regularly through that 3-dot menu.

I installed a plug-in from the Chrome store called Quick Bookmarks Menu. Right-click or long-press on the icon in the toolbar to set it up. 

I set the following:

1. Open Bookmarks in: New Tab (Other options are "current tab" and "background.)

2. Folder Hover Enter: Off (can be set from slow to fast, which is for opening the folders for hovering with the mouse. For pen or touch, it should be off.)

Once that's done, set up the following bookmarks in a new bookmarks folder called "Edge Menu Items."

I added the following bookmarks:

edge://settings

edge://favorites

edge://downloads

edge://history

edge://extensions

edge://apps

edge://settings/help (About Microsoft Edge)

The last one helps me make sure I'm on the latest build. This has made Edge Canary usable for me. Hope it helps someone else.

@RedBeta 

Thanks for the tip on the virtual touch-pad. I forgot about that, and it's sitting in the taskbar waiting on me to use it. Cumbersome though, but helps in a pinch.

I've not been using the favorites toolbar, because on an 8" screen I need all the real estate I can get. You might want to check my solution I posted above. Hope it helps. I set up a series of favorites to let me access what I need under that menu. 

Will still need to use the virtual touchpad when I need to install an app, but those are, for the most part, already set up.

@P1000 

Can confirm that I also have this issue where Pen and Touch does not work on the Settings button in EdgeChromium. Only the mouse / touchpad works.

Surface Pro 5

@P1000 

I can confirm that in Canary 76.0.161.0, this issue is fixed for touch. I don't have a pen capable display, so you'll have to test that one.

Making good progress at least!

@VonCrisp 

I can confirm I have the same issue on the dev build 76.0.159.0, on my Surface Pro 4.

The three-dot menu is highlighted when tapped with the Surface Pen, but doesn't open. With the touch screen, the three-dot menu does not react at all.

However, it seems fixed in canary build 76.0.161.0.

@VonCrisp @rhapdog @MOrdinateur

All working for me now re this issue

Same here, just installed 76.0.159.0 dev and found that touch on settings does not work. Wait for update 76.0.161.0 ?
If you want to stay on the Dev channel, not much choice. Next Dev update should fix it for you.