SOLVED

Set Tabs Aside

Steel Contributor

I just downloaded Canary. I used Dev Channel for a couple days, but I'm jumping in with both feet! Will we be able to set aside tabs soon? Another option would be to have various configurations, for web pages that are opened frequently as a group.

Thanks,

Dan

13 Replies

@Dan_AI4GK 

In these earlier builds, we are focusing on more fundamental features and will add other features in time.
As for Favorites that you want to open in a group: if you place them in a folder, you can open all Tabs from a folder at once.

Gabriel

I really like the Open All in favorites. I'm still trying to figure out this Groups thing. I have a group, but it shows up as a tab that covers a page tab. It doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks,

Dan

@Dan_AI4GK 
You may need to send a Screen shot here, or open a Support Ticket. Microsoft Edge Support

Gabriel

Okay, I'm noticing that it's not covering a tab. I'm just wondering what to do with Groups. My intuition says that I should be able to work with them separately, perhaps displaying them in their own windows, but I'm not seeing it yet. Perhaps it's too early in Canary?
best response confirmed by Dan_AI4GK (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@Dan_AI4GK 

It seems that the Tab Groups are still early in their development. I had been referring to just using Favorite folders for now to give the same effect.

Gabriel

I understand that you had been referring to Favorites folders, and that's actually very helpful! Thanks! I also figured that it's very early in development and that Tab Groups probably is a ways from full implementation. Can you give us a little teaser on what they're going to be? Will we be able, for example, to name the groups based on their function? Will we be able to open groups individually, or, say, one group in one Edge window and another group in another window?

Thanks very much for all you and the other team members are doing, and for the amount of input you're taking from us!!

Dan

@Dan_AI4GK 

We have no information about Tab groups other than that they are presently not working as intended.

Gabriel

Okay, thank you for your quick reply. I can't wait to see what they do!

Dan
How are we doing with "Set Aside Tabs"?

Dennis5mile

@Dan_AI4GK 

I agree.

Where is the "Set Tabs Aside" functionality?
This functionality of Microsoft Edge internet browser is a MUST for me to have in any future version.

Whilst i understand why people liked set tabs aside (I did too!) now that we can create one or more collections, I find that this, for me, eradicates the need for setting tabs aside and in fact adds much more functionality in each collection:  Open all; add notes; sharing; etc.  

@Yorkshire_Ale365 @Shane_Hutchison 

I don't think Collections will work for what I wanted set-aside tabs for. I had groups of tabs for different functions. For instance, when I operate my ham radio as net control station, I have close to 10 tabs open just for that function, because I use those sites all the time when I'm doing that. I see collections as more of a research thing. I could be wrong, as I've never used it, because its description seemed to indicate that.

I have found a workaround, though, although it's a bit of a kludge. I set up a separate profile for that function, and pinned the icon for that profile on the taskbar. So, all I have to do is click on that icon and it opens to that set of tabs. It works, even though I don't have a Microsoft account for that profile.

Does that make any sense? It looks a bit of a ramble to me.  :nerd_face:

Regards,

Dan

The inclusion of the feature is highly appreciated, but I feel like the previous ui and interacting where it had a icon on top left corner and the table showing the tabs. It was a bit more intuitive and simple than this. Looking forward to seeing the current set tab ui evolve inside collection. ☺️
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dan_AI4GK (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@Dan_AI4GK 

It seems that the Tab Groups are still early in their development. I had been referring to just using Favorite folders for now to give the same effect.

Gabriel

View solution in original post