Search engine in New-tab page

Copper Contributor

When I change the search engine in the settings the search engine in the address bar is changed but the search engine in the new tab page is not changed and is set to bing. It is not that I don't like bing I think it is uncomfortable for users if the search engine in the browser is not changed when they did it.

I am using dev channel of the edge

11 Replies

@gopikrishna2245 I have tested on the 77.0.200.1 (Canary) i have the same result it's a bug it seem's. 

Adding to this, not only is it that your search engine doesn't change... but the engine used defaults Bing to the US region! Please consider us non-US users. This ruins the search completely outside of the US.

oh for that i can't test since i use the US region, you can DM @Elliot Kirk for report the bug (since, they can't read all post), so he can pass it to de dev.

@Deleted I've done that but you can test this in any region.

Replication steps:

1. Push the hamburger menu, settings, manually change region to Australia.

2. Perform a search in the address bar. This region change is respected and the search should return Australian results.

3. Perform a search in the new tab search bar. This region change is overridden and the search returns US results. If you check the region again, it has automatically switched to US.

@willc420 After have turned off "Let website provide locally relevant content ... " in windows by security and followed your step.

I confirm the bug.

Edit : i'm on canary

@willc420@gopikrishna2245, @Deleted, both of these behaviors are by design.  There is no way to change the search provider on the New Tab Page (NTP).  The NTP is a website that takes it context from the language and country that the user has their browser set to, and should return results relevant to those settings. We only supported en-us when we first released, and have just added additional languages and countries.  Thank you for your understanding. - Elliot

@Elliot Kirk Do you think you will add the way to change de background image just like chrome propose it, or you prefer let only the bing daily image ?

@Elliot Kirk When you say just added do you mean in canary? Because the same behaviour occurs for me still in Canary.

@willc420@gopikrishna2245@nastyaaelisya

Cc: @Elliot Kirk

To everyone & anyone, if you want a New Tab Page that will do or give you whatever you want & more than you, ever, dreamed or imagined... whatever you'd like, it probably has & can do. It is HERE and wow, do I ever recommend it:exclamation_mark:

Background or image... have fun choosing ;)  Set some time aside for that; may you take a while to decide :thinking_face:

Also, includes assigning what search engine it uses, btw.; and it won't change (back to anything ;):thumbs_up:)

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Sorry but i don't want an external extension, i prefer help to add functionality native to edge but thanks for the suggestion.
I agree with you. But, it could be viewed as a 'temporary' alternative, possibly.

Cheers,
Drew