SOLVED

Run installed applications in separate session / profile

Copper Contributor

Is there a way to run installed applications in a separate session or profile?

I have Youtube music installed as an application trough Edge, and every time i launch it, my password manager opens to unlock the vault. It would be handy if you could turn off add-ons in applications so they are lighter weight and more like a actual application.

This could be fixed by having a separate profile or session for applications.

6 Replies
Hi,
Great suggestion and Idea. I'd vote for this too!
I just noticed that tools like "Cast media to device" are also missing. Especially for "applications" such as Youtube Music, this would be very handy to have.
best response confirmed by TargetCrafter (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@TargetCrafter very interesting suggestions, thank you. We have had requests to make sure Extensions work in PWAs so that people can use their Password Manager, etc.... I think this requires some user studies and data. 

I'm going to track these internally. Keep 'em coming!

-John

Hi,
umm extensions Do work in PWA app mode, even right now!
I've used them numerous times. I use Spotify web player as PWA and pinned it to my taskbar and I also use an extension for controlling my volume and I can use it in the PWA mode.

@HotCakeX 

Extensions do work, but tools (menu>more tools) are missing.

It would be nice if we could disable some extensions, for example:

I use Buttercup as my password manager, and everytime i open the browser, t asks me to unlock my vault. This also happens when i open the YouTube Music "application", and it just opens in a normal tab, in addition to the YouTube Music "application". This is why I'd like to be able to run them in a separate session or profile so this doesn't happen.

@TargetCrafter 

@TargetCrafter wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Extensions do work, but tools (menu>more tools) are missing.

It would be nice if we could disable some extensions, for example:

I use Buttercup as my password manager, and everytime i open the browser, t asks me to unlock my vault. This also happens when i open the YouTube Music "application", and it just opens in a normal tab, in addition to the YouTube Music "application". This is why I'd like to be able to run them in a separate session or profile so this doesn't happen.

sounds good

like in here

Annotation 2019-11-07 133526.png

under "allow in InPrivate"

they can add a new option called "allow in PWA mode"

i think it will take care of that issue

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by TargetCrafter (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@TargetCrafter very interesting suggestions, thank you. We have had requests to make sure Extensions work in PWAs so that people can use their Password Manager, etc.... I think this requires some user studies and data. 

I'm going to track these internally. Keep 'em coming!

-John

View solution in original post