Reported to Smiley, twice.

Silver Contributor

Have told this to Mr. Smiley twice and now, will share it with you.

Dev is, STILL, opening upon Startup to New tab. I say "still" because it is set to Startup to MSN Canada. Build 75.0.139.0, now, but, it has always done this. Home page is set to the same, that works fine. Canary is set the same , however, it DOES Startup as set.

Win10 Insider Fast Track went on a new Build today, too.  Ergo, that's 3 new Builds in 1 day, if, including Canary.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

25 Replies

@Drew1903  I'm not entirely sure from your description how your Startup options on Dev 75.0.139.1 are set, but it sounds like you set up the browser to open to "Open a specific page or pages", as in

Startup.jpg

and that you have Canary 75.0.139.0 set up identically.  If I understand your post correctly, Canary opens the specified page(s) on Startup, but Dev ignores your "Open a specific page or pages" setting and opens to the "New Tab" page. 

If that is the case, you might want to contact Microsoft Edge Support and report the issue to them.  I've found that Microsoft Edge support is more useful resolving user-specific issues like this than Feedback is -- Feedback is designed to deal with more generalized issues, it seems. 

@Drew1903  Please ignore "and that you have Canary 75.0.139.0 set up identically".  It should read "and that you have Canary builds set up identically".  Canary is now on what, about 75.0.141.0?

The point, though, is that the problem you are encountering is probably not build-related.  Weekly Dev releases "are the best representation of our improvements in the past week" according to Microsoft, so what works in Canary builds during the week should also work in the Dev build.  That suggests to me that the problem you are encountering is specific to your setup somehow.  Feedback is designed to identify issues to be resolved in future builds, while Microsoft Edge Support is designed to identify and resolve specific issues users are encountering.

@tomscharbach 

Tom,

I have reached out to MS Edge Support.  I'll let you know what comes of that if, you like (?).  Niether Canary nor Dev have been opening on Startup the specific page to which they are set.  Just checked both, again, before writing this.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 I've tried "Open a specific page or pages" and it doesn't work for me. I hadn't noticed before because my default is "Continue where you left off" and that works fine.

@NicolSD 

Well, isn't that interesting, that it is not unique to myself.  Maybe, if it was reported to Mr. Smiley :) & MS Edge Support by more than, myself that would be good & helpful.  Might be a bug.   Could, would more of you, also, check this, please so we know if it's wide-spread (a bug) or isolated incidents. 

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 -- I gave your bug report a LIKE and added a comment to try to give our (yours and mine) problem as much attention as possible. I always give a LIKE to bug reports I can confirm happen to me as well.

@Drew1903  and @NicolSD 

I've not had the trouble on any of my computers.  Nichol also has the issue, and that eliminates a lot of variables.

A possible variable that comes to mind, if you want to check it out:  The way that I set Startup pages is to set the startup tabs up the way I want them (I use a different setup on each of the computers) and then I click on the "Use all open tabs" button.  I don't use the "Add a new page" button and then add the page URL.  I wonder if that would make a difference.  If so, that would help MES isolate the issue for replication.

It is an interesting issue, the kind of anomaly that drives support people crazy.  

@NicolSD 

:thumbs_up::thumbs_up::smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

@tomscharbach 

Tom, having reported it (as a possible bug) to MS Edge Support as, you suggested, they contacted me saying they are looking into it.  Time will tell.

Interesting, though...
Submitted, the 1st time, to Mr. Smiley :) the generic reply just says, "We received it", basically.  Submitted via MS Edge Support, the reply refers to a specific "ticket request #". 

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903   "Submitted, the 1st time, to Mr. Smiley :) the generic reply just says, "We received it", basically.  Submitted via MS Edge Support, the reply refers to a specific "ticket request #". "

Yup.  And if my experience is any guide, the matter will be assigned to a person in Microsoft Edge Support, who will stay in contact with you, perhaps ask for additional information, and keep you informed any progress.  If they decide that it is a bug, then they will issue a "BUG######" number to it, and get more people working on it.   MES is very good.

Here's hopes for a quick resolution.  

@tomscharbach 

:thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

I'll keep you posted, Tom.  I think it will be deemed to be a 'bug'.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 -- I think I am losing my mind. I tried it this afternoon and it wasn't working. Now it is. How can that be?

@NicolSD 

Nicol,

That's about the as I swear I saw Canary do it right, once & then, it didn't, wouldn't, again.  We're, still, on the same Builds, but, I'll try (Read: test) mine again, right now...  No change.  Still, giving New tab, even though, set & assigned to a specific page.

Hopefully 🤞🏻 you're not, actually, losing your mind 🤪

And the answer to "How can that be?" is "Fun with 'puters" ;)

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@tomscharbach @NicolSD 

I have had more discussion with Edge Tech.  They had asked me to see what behavior there would be in an Added Profile.  Since, I, already, have 2 acc'ts, mostly using one in Canary & the other in Dev, the excercise became unnecessary.  I told that mine isn't an isolated case.  He then said, he knew that & that, indeed, one of his co-workers has the same issue.  Anyway, they are lloking into this deeply in an effort to resolve it.  Will keep y'all updated.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@tomscharbach @NicolSD 

OMG!  Now, both Dev & Canary are opening as assigned or correctly, repeatedly.  That poor tech is going to think I'm on bad acid 🤪:dizzy_face:🥴  What is yours doing, Nicol? (now)  Maybe, they fixed it. 🤷🏻‍:male_sign:

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@tomscharbach @NicolSD 

I have let them know it is very inconsistent.  It'll work right a few times then, doesn't.  Absolutely irratic.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903  "I have let them know it is very inconsistent.  It'll work right a few times then, doesn't.  Absolutely irratic."

They will throw up a few machines in the lab and test until they've replicated it.  The same erractic thing is happening with the on again off again syncing, and they've got several teams working on it.

@Drew1903 I don't really use "Open a specific page or pages." I only tried it for a while to confirm your bug. That's all. However, I just gave it a look (76.0.145.0) and I see a new option: "Set to all currently open tabs". I don't remember seeing that one before. Isn't it new?

Anyway, I just tried it with just one specific page. The bug is still there for me. Edge Chromium opened with the New Tab page. However, I tried two different things and got different results.

1- Had two instances of Edge open

2- Changed the startup preference to Open a specific page (entered a page)

3- Launched a 3rd instance

4- It opened with the New Tab page

1- Closed all instances of Edge

2- Launched a first instance

3- I got the specific page I had requested

4- Launched a second instance

5- It opened with the New Tab page.

Hi All,

I am seeing the same behavior, and I don't see a bug yet.  I have reached out to the owner, and am filing a bug on this.  Thank you for your perseverance isolating the repro steps.