Redirect Specific Webpage to Edge

Brass Contributor

Is this possible? Also I'm not sure if this is the correct place.

We have a website that users are opening it in IE, but it doesn't work. It works in Edge though. So we would like to redirect that to Edge, is that possible?

9 Replies
Hi,
would setting Edge as the default browser work out for you?
Our environment is one of those 'do whatever you want'. These particular users are using IE exclusively but the website we've provided for them to use works best in Edge.

Oh well I don't have enough information about your specific environment and how the clients are manged by what type of management tools, but here is a suggestion:

make a shortcut of the new Edge (I'm using Canary) by going to its install location
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application

right-click on the "msedge.exe" and choose send to > create shortcut on desktop.

then go to the desktop shortcut you just created, right-click on it and choose properties.

in the "shortcut" tab where it says Target: , put your custom URL in there like this

"C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\msedge.exe" http://customwebsite.com

Thank you for the suggestion, You're right these would be the best way to do, but I'm not sure if we're going to manage these small group of users just for this request.

It is so easy to say, 'hey, user edge as your default'

do you think it worth the effort to create a support ticket to microsoft for this odd request or no?
You're welcome,
honestly I don't think it's worth the ticket because there is the option to do it using shortcuts, any changes would need to be applied on a OS level. if you're managing them via Windows server or Intune, you can use those specific tools or use group policy to either set Edge as their default browser or publish that shortcut automatically to their systems and block them from using IE.
there are lots of possibilities and tools, you just have to figure out which one suits you the best :)

@HotCakeXinteresting.. we've actually added it to the Enterprise Mode xml

<open-in>MSEdge</open-in>   </site>  

and its working. I'm pretty much blown away.
That's nice,
though I thought you mentioned your website doesn't work with IE. but apparently it does work with IE-mode in the new Edge?

@HotCakeX
Sorry for the confusion, Our website works in Edge but not COMPLETELY on IE. So what happens is that users uses IE fulltime, and refuse to switch to Edge.. So we have to find a way so that it redirects to Edge.

by the way, I have a follow-up question, when switching from old.xml file to the new.xml file, would it cause any issues to other GPOs?
What I was told was to keep the old.xml and unshare the file, disconnect all remaining connection to the old.xml, modify the old.xml and reshare the file.

I'm so confused, why can't someone just create a new xml, and point the GPO to the new.xml?  Again, I was told that it is not safe because it could break other settings. (HUH??)

It's alright. well if the users are working for you and not the other way around, you can dictate them and set the rules as to what software to use etc.

check see if that GPO contains any other settings than that .xml file you use for IE redirection. if it only contains that then it's safe to remove it and create another GPO in its place with the same share permission and users. the only thing that can disrupt other GPOs is the override rules of that particular GPO.