Present PDF files from opening in Edge Developmental Version

Copper Contributor

How do I keep the new version of Edge opening PDF files as soon as I click on them instead of having them open in Acrobat? I have a couple of reads I'd rather have this done and I've always done it in other browsers. I have the default for PDF file reading Set to Acrobat but they still open in Edge. I haven't found anything in the settings menu to prevent this from happening.

7 Replies

@MSRadell 

Here you go, I'm on Windows 10 latest version. type the title of this Window (Choose default apps by file type) in the Windows' search and it will take you there.

Annotation 2019-08-18 130040.png

@HotCakeX  as I said in my original post I already have my default for PDF files set to Acrobat Reader (screen clip is attached).  That's the 1st thing I tried. I believe this has to be a setting somewhere in the new version of the Edge browser working make a change but I certainly haven't been able to find it.

Capture.JPG

In that case try changing it to the old Edge, open a PDF from a folder, do the same for Edge insider and Adobe reader and see what happens. if it didn't help then try uninstalling/reinstalling the Edge. you can test it on Canary too.

@HotCakeX 

I thought I had tried everything that you mentioned but I went back thru and try to roll again including the reinstallation and the same thing still happens. Even when I sent the default reader to Google Chrome, or the Original Edge they still open in the developmental version of Edge.

Probably just typical Microsoft thought process that they know better than the customers do!

Try the Canary. it's better than the Dev in every aspect, including stability. I'm using it and I have no such problem. if you install Canary and you still have that problem then you've done something in your OS that is causing this issue.

"Probably just typical Microsoft thought process that they know better than the customers do!"

it's an alpha software. these things are totally normal.

@HotCakeX I've tried Canary in the past and don't like it for a variety of reasons. I'm going to try it again. Everything I've read the chromium-based Edge is actually in beta release now. Overall it has very few problems, this is 1 of the few I've found.

Canary is pre-alpha, Dev is alpha. Beta and Stable don't exist.