SOLVED
Home

Pin to desktop

Bev-Ann
New Contributor

I've been using "Pin to desktop" in Canary thinking it was similar to "Pin to taskbar" but it creates an app instead. What I want is the Edge "Pin/Unpin to/from taskbar" but I don't see that option anywhere.

17 Replies

@Bev-Ann thank you so much for this feedback. We have absolutely heard about this as a take-back from our previous version and have "Pin to Taskbar" on our roadmap. 

@johnjansen This is really good news that Pin to Taskbar is planned to come back in the roadmap. Thank you to the team.

@ms4132 Build 76.0.158.0 does have the option to Pin to Taskbar.

@NicolSDThank you for letting me know. I have been tied up all day and just got back to my computer a little while ago. I was I had a new build, but had not yet had a chance to explore.

Solution

@NicolSD Unfortunately, it is not showing up for me in 76.0.158.0. I wonder if it is rolling out in groups again the way translate and spell check did. I had those on some machines, but not others for the same earlier builds.

I assume you are seeing it under More Tools, along with Pin to Desktop.

@ms4132 A few times a week, I go through the reports in this community and check if I can duplicate the bugs. I checked yours this afternoon after I updated to the latest Canary version. I use the More Tools to pin to the taskbar.

@NicolSD Under 'More tools...' I have 'Save page as', 'Pin to desktop', 'Cast media to device', 'Browser task manager', 'Developer tools'.

@Bev-Ann You are right. I used Windows' More menu option and not Edge's More tools option. Sorry about the confusion.

@NicolSD thank you for confirming, I was confused since I was looking at the source code and it's not in there yet :) I was worried we may have a bug in the string or something weird. As I say, we do have this on our roadmap, so keep an eye out for it. 

@Bev-Ann 

Hi Bev,

Yes, it's well known or widely known Pin to task bar is missing.  And the Team is aware of countless people saying it's missing.  I think an effort is being made to have it.  🤞🏻🤞🏻  Hope we see it soon... should have been there from the onset.

And you're right, Pin to desktop is silly.  Edge does not have it & god knows why it's in Edge C (right now)

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@NicolSD 

Where, Nicol.  I look straight away every time & I don't see it.  Where are you seeing it, finding it?

Ok, having read more of the thread than what landed in my Inbox... I see I'm not the only one, still, not seeing it.  I :folded_hands: that when I do see it, that dumb Pin to desktop is gone, also.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Highlighted

@Drew1903 wrote:

Hi Bev,

Yes, it's well known or widely known Pin to task bar is missing.  And the Team is aware of countless people saying it's missing.  I think an effort is being made to have it.  🤞🏻🤞🏻  Hope we see it soon... should have been there from the onset.

And you're right, Pin to desktop is silly.  Edge does not have it & god knows why it's in Edge C (right now)

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 Yes, I don't understand why anyone would use it. Not only do they pin to the desktop, but they also pin to the Start menu and even show up in Apps & Features. You have to Uninstall them from Start or open 'Apps > Manage apps' in the Edge menu to get rid of them.

???

@Bev-Ann 

"to get rid of them.", Bev

Get rid of what? "Them" being?? Seems I lost or missed that part...

"Yes, I don't understand why anyone would use it.', Bev
Don't blame you, it's not a place to put things nor to act on things.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 wrote:

"to get rid of them.", Bev

Get rid of what? "Them" being?? Seems I lost or missed that part...

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 When you use 'Pin to desktop' to create a shortcut to a webpage, the same shortcut is also pinned to the Start menu and added to Windows Apps & Features. It's basically being treated like an app, not a shortcut.

To remove the shortcut (ie. get rid of) from Start and Apps & Features, you can't simply delete it from the desktop; you have to either right-click on it in the Start menu and select Uninstall or open Windows Apps & Features and Uninstall it from there.

Try pinning a webpage to the desktop and then open the Start menu and check Windows Apps & Features. You'll see what I'm talking about.

@Bev-Ann 

Yes, which, jibes with my saying earlier that Pin to desktop is silly.  Pin to task bar is what should be there; same as Edge (now).  Pin to desktop doesn't even exist in Edge; no (good) reason for it to be.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Bev-Ann 

Yes, Bev, MANY of us have been saying the same.  Pin to desktop isn't even supposed to be there & how it works is crazy.  We are praying & pleading for Pin to Taskbar, same as you.  We (like to) think the Team has heard us by now :crossed_fingers:

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@johnjansen 

Pin to taskbar:

"We have absolutely heard about this and have "Pin to Taskbar" on our roadmap".

YAY:exclamation_mark: :beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::bottle_with_popping_cork:

***********************************************

Speaking of Pinning. We know things can be pinned from the Start menu (Rt Clk > More). Thought I'd show the Rt Clk options, including pinning, from the Applications window. Actually, less involved than via Start.

Pin from Apps.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Related Conversations
Tabs and Dark Mode
cjc2112 in Discussions on
38 Replies
Extentions Synchronization
Deleted in Discussions on
3 Replies
Stable version of Edge insider browser