PLEASE add a 'Clear History on Exit" function to Edge Chromium

Brass Contributor

Hi all,

This is really a MUST ... I cannot understand why Google won't add this to Chrome - this is the single reason for me still using FireFox ...

I love the new Edge Chromium browser - but I won't be using it if it cannot have the simple function to clear all history on exit (including 'recently closed tabs' ....) ..... and I am pretty sure this is the same for a lot of users. Just make it a configurable choice - pretty please ;)

Cheers,
StoneT

31 Replies
i also require this functionality and it is one of the main issues pushing me to remain using the "old" edge

currently i launch "new" edge shortcut with the -inprivate flag, but that has issues such as not logging me in, not having access to settings pages, opening pages from other apps etc open in a non private tab, plus losing the ability to have a separate InPrivate instance alongside my usual web browsing, etc

thanks for posting this StoneT!

@StoneT  I agree.  I don't use Chrome for a lot of reasons, but the inability to clear on exit is an important one.

Edge Classic does it exactly right, in my opinion, giving users options about what data to clear on exit, and Edge Chromium should duplicate the functionality.

Clear History.jpg

@StoneT Thank you for your feedback.  We take privacy very seriously.  We are looking at making changes to our user interface.  Please keep updating and letting know how you feel about the changes we make as we go.

I upvote this feature request. Please add this existing Edge feature to Edge-chromium

@Elliot Kirk 

This is the major one for me, have a look at how Firefox gives granular control over clearing browsing data on exit (I like to delete everthing except cookies for example).

At the risk of hijacking the thread, also note how Firefox allows the user to control what is shown in the URL bar.  I don't want my browing history popping up as suggestions as I type, if you know what I mean..... ;)

Basically copy those two features of Firefox and you'll have another user swapping to Edge Chromium, those two things make me a Firefox user.

Ed.

@EdUK2019 "This is the major one for me, have a look at how Firefox gives granular control over clearing browsing data on exit (I like to delete everthing except cookies for example)."  

Firefox does an excellent job of granular selection of what to clear and what not.  So does Edge Classic (see screenshots in comment above).  I agree that replicating Edge Classic's functionality in this regard is a minimum requirement for release.  I get rid of everything except passwords on both Edge Classic and Firefox.

@Deleted Yes, the lack of this feature also keeps me on Classic Edge for now...

@StoneT I agree we need this feature to clear on exit.  Please add this 

The Current version of Edge Dev and Can have this option, but it is a Edge://Flags option. 

Clear on exit 2.jpg

Clear on exit.jpg

This is a work in progress, but as I've tested it and so far as I can tell, but see my post Here

Dennis5mile

@Bruce_Odum 

@Dennis5mile 
Thanks for your feedback, however it is not really related to the call for deleting history on exit - the flags setting is, as far as I know, related to a slight re-design of the clearing dialog pop-up and the clearing of cookies is not really what is called for here (i.e. the clearing of all history upon exit) ....

Just to add what I just found out ... the Canary build (I am currently on 77.0.223.0) has this great new feature below .... **bleep** I am HAPPY - this is my new default browser :)

Clear history on exit.png

Yes, this is Great!

Dennis5mile

@Elliot Kirk 

Ok, so here I am in the latest version of Edge Can (Version 77.0.223.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit))  and I head on over to settings/Privacy and services/Clear browsing data/Choose what to clear every time you close the browser.

I make all my selections Browsing History, Cookies and other site data, Cached images and files.

Now before I close my browser to test this I go here..

clear on exit settings 2.jpg

Then head back to here....clear on exit settings 3.jpg

Then to be safe and make sure no cookies and such would still be there I go here and turn off all settings..clear on exit settings.jpg

I close Edge/Can down and wait about 2 minutes and then restart it.   I go back to the settings for clearing on exit only to find this....clear on exit settings 4.jpg

Now why in the world would there be any cookies or  what have you, when all I did was start the browser and open to the new tab page which is blank other than the search bar..   Now there is either something I'm not getting or this is a bug and it is not clearing anything.....

Dennis5mile

Ok, Updated to the newest version of Can (Version 77.0.227.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit))  and still have this problem...  I start browser, make sure I log into Nothing, clear everything just like I show in the photos in prier post and still,

I start Edge Can and it opens to here....

clear on exit settings 7.jpg

I sign into/log into NOTHING and I go immediately to the settings page and find this

clear on exit settings 6.jpg

Now how is this possible?  How can I have cookies and other site data from 13 sites and 3.1MB from Cached images and files when I've gone nowhere and signed into nothing, not even into this forum???

What's not working or am I missing something?

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile 

@Dennis5mile 

Thanks for helping us test this new feature! I'm sorry to hear it's not working as expected for you.

Do you have any extensions installed? They might also be adding to your cookie count. To have a better idea of where these cookies are coming from, you can visit edge://settings/siteData to see a complete list of cookies in your browser. 

Do you mind sending us feedback from the :) if this is still an issue? That way we can get more info into what's happening.  Thanks again!

@ShirleyNg wrote:

@Dennis5mile 

Thanks for helping us test this new feature! I'm sorry to hear it's not working as expected for you.

Do you have any extensions installed? They might also be adding to your cookie count. To have a better idea of where these cookies are coming from, you can visit edge://settings/siteData to see a complete list of cookies in your browser. 

Do you mind sending us feedback from the :) if this is still an issue? That way we can get more info into what's happening.  Thanks again!

Hi Shirley,

Yes I did have extensions installed so this time I removed/disabled them from loading at start up cleared everything then followed the steps I did before and same results, though not as many cookies and such.  I sent a :)  with a link to these posts so anyone can check it all out... 

Thanks

Dennis5mile     @ShirleyNg 

@Dennis5mile 

Surely what you are seeing is simply the basics loaded when the browser first starts?  It'll be bing.com, msn.com etc., as they are the default search and home pages.

That would be normal behaviour.

You can also add to your favorites bar (if you have favorites bar set into place) the Clear Browser Data tab for fast one button fast data clearing at any time. Yes, you can also set it to clear data upon exit but with it saved in your favorites toolbar you can click it anytime to bring it up and delete data in a second like I do (by than clicking "clear now" of everything you have checked marked). Simply go to the web/search address bar of your edge. Put in: edge://settings/clearBrowserData and click Ctrl-D or the star to save to your favorites bar, and it should be right there in your favorites bar. Like how the picture of mine shows it:

Capture.JPG

Great, thanks for this... :)

Dennis5mile