Other Application Windows Cannot Appear Over Chromium Edge

Brass Contributor

Other open windows of any other application is unable to appear over the chromium edge window.

Version 77.0.211.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

21 Replies

Ditto. Somehow this new canary build is always on top.

Can confirm. Chromium Edge grabs focus and will not allow any other window to be displayed when alt-tabbed.

I confirm. Chrome Edge stays always on top.

Same issue here with latest Canary, also a possibly related issue where combo boxes don't work (which I suppose is better than last weeks issue where tabbing from a combo box crashed the browser lol).

I can confirm. It is actually really annoying, but at least I have 2 monitors.

Same problem here.

@joematt 

I found the cause of the problem and wrote a program to fix it temporarily.
Download the attachment and unzip it.

Run this script every time you open Edge :)

@lzskyline please don't share scripts in forums as such files pose a potential security threat.

I recommend you delete this post.

The open source code is available on Github without any confusion.
Just called SetWindowPos HWND_TOPMOST, nothing else.
Microsoft employees are on vacation, and we need to fix this, right?
always on top problem was in Google Chrome Canary too but few days ago it got patched. now Microsoft should patch it as well. it's related to the chromium engine.

@joematt 

yes i am having this same issue waiting on the fix!

At first, I thought it's only my crappy laptop.

@lzskyline FYI, if you use DisplayFusion, you can do this via a Trigger as well and it works!

Hi All,

We are aware of this issue and will fix it as soon as possible.  In the meantime, I can suggest that you use the Developer channel release, as it does not contain this bug.  Thank you again for your patience, and your self-hosting, we appreciate it more than you can imagine.

Scratch that, does not work. Fixes the topmost issue for the window in general, but does not fix the <select> problem. I can now access the options, but the options close almost immediately.

Also.  I can't do almost anything because of this focus.