Opening new page in Apps

Copper Contributor

I have an app set up to run my companie's intranet site.  The problem is that when I make an invoice and want to print it, the link opens a new page with a printable version of the invoice.   In the app a new page link opens the full browser.  Is there a way to have a new page openend from within an app to open a new app window instead of the full browser?

5 Replies
Is the app a UWP application or a Win32 application @Cromi? What was the behavior before you installed the preview version of Edge?

@Elliot Kirk 

It's the apps feature used in the preview versions of Edge (menu -> Apps).  On non-preview Edge I was using pinned shortcuts. After trying the apps feature, I liked the cleaner look without adding the extra UI elements (tabs, menus, address bar, etc.).  It's just jarring when you click a link that opens a new window and have the browser with full UI open instead of a seperate app style window.

Good morning, @Cromi, thanks for sending feedback. Have you checked out the edge://flags page? If you filter the view of flags to PWA, you can enable this feature via edge://flags/#enable-desktop-pwas-stay-in-window

Looking forward to see feedback on that... obviously, it's experimental :)

-John 

@johnjansen 

Thank you for the suggestion.  Unfortunatly that didn't solve my problem of links opening the browser, instead of another app window.  If it helps, the link style I'm using is a href="link" target="_blank".  I will keep trying when a new update is made available in the Canary branch.

@Cromi, interesting. I just checked and it worked for me with that HTML, so please do try with a more recent build or something. Maybe make sure that after you set that flag to enabled, that you relaunch the browser and PWA.