Oh, come on, seriously?

Silver Contributor

I have the Technology section on my Home page and spotted an article about this... if you thought things couldn't be more 'interesting'...

You know, I recently read comments in this forum regarding having embedded ad-blocking... in the browser, by default. Anyway...

In the midst of all we are up to, here, with a Chromium-based browser... a few minutes ago I discovered the Brave browser. Just take a look for yourselves... unless, already, familiar with it, of course. How do you think it compares with the new Edge?

(Btw, unsurprisingly, I couldn't resist...) 'Interesting', indeed...  Yeeeesh 

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

11 Replies

The Brave Browser. I tried it a few months back (both android and PC) an I didn't like it. It has some built in privacy features options that are just one click away, but I couldn't get the feel for it. Then they added Tor which was the end of it for me.  I prefer MS Edge. You have these new clone browsers coming up like Brave, Pale Moon, Water Fox, DuckDuckGo (Android) and so on. They jump on the band wagon of "privacy" and even "anonymously " but the browsers themselves are too busy/cluttering or two novice or questionable in their security updates. I prefer to add what extensions I want or don't want instead of having the browser through in a bunch of stuff already that bogs it down. Realistically if I bookmark the "Clear Browser Data" to my favorites tool bar here on the new Edge I can wipe out all my data with that one push of the tab. 

I like Chrome, I'll admit it. I have Chrome Canary too now. I like the new Edge better but if I didn't have Edge I would use Chrome as my default (original Edge has been my default since I dropped IE in 2016 and I've been using IE as default since 1.0, right now Edge Canary believe it or not is my default I go too). Even though Brave is based off the Chromium project, I just couldn't get the feel for it. I also tried Firefox several times and their daily update beta version (Firefox Nightly) and that I couldn't' get a feel for either. Firefox is on a down slide and I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years it's fizzles out: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3199425/top-web-browsers-2019-firefox-flails-as-user-share-fal...l

That's just my feel for it. Everyone has their own. 

@Anthony 

Well, you've spent more time with it than, I.  It's just a casual look-see, really, with me.  Curiosity & intrigue, it's an IT thing ;)  Aside from the default ad-blocking, in the few minutes, I've had, looks similar to this, at a glance.  Obviously, due to both being Chromium-based.  

I've been quite happy with Edge and an ad blocked in place.  Other than that, seems the protection & anti this or that is all here, (too).

Great note, btw.  Good to have input from someone with a longer run with it.

I, too, have tried a few, over the years... primarily, so I wasn't clueless about what a client have have or mention.  But, have, always, preferred (gone back to/stayed with) IE & then, thankfully, Edge.  But, speaking of 'feel'... I just never cared for FF or Chrome.

And I, still, loathe the Chromium approach of swapped to full page for Settings  et al.  And, of course, Brave does it, too.  I so hope Edge C does not have to use that approach & we can stay with what we have, now, in Edge.  It's one Chromium style thing I do not like, at all.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

This forum is not your personal blog to fill it with off topic, pointless and advertisement contents. none of that is related to the Microsoft edge insider whatsoever.

if this kind of behavior is allowed then i'll go ahead and post whatever random tech news i find on the internet in here. since it 's okay

@Drew1903  

Brave runs as quickly as it does because ads are stripped at the Brave server level, so less content is transmitted to and processed by the browser at the device level. However, it is a ferocious memory hog, using two to three times as much memory as EdgeHTML, EdgeClassic and Firefox with four Bing tabs open and inactive.

brave memory use.jpg

Brave has a very different business model than any other browser I have used, and that model is inappropriate for Microsoft implementation. I suspect that lawsuits from content providers are coming Brave's way, and I can see merit in the lawsuits.

Brave's UI is quirky at times, and Brave suffers from Google Chrome's "open a new process for everything" issues. Android and Linux users have lodged a significant number of complaints about unreliability in those environments, but I have not seen those issues in a Windows environment.

I have some experience with Brave because I use Brave on a computer that operates in a low-to-nonexistent bandwidth environment (that is, 0.8-1.5 mb/s at the DSL gateway).  Brave is noticeably quicker in that environment than the other browsers. It is not, however, a contender for my primary browser in its current iteration (despite the fact that it is cross platform to Android, Linux and Windows), and probably won't be going forward.

Brendan Eich (formerly of Mozilla) is touting Brave as the "future of browsing".  My guess is that Brave will not set the world afire.  We'll see.

As an aside, Drew, while in-built ad blocking might be new to the Edge world, it is not new.  Firefox and other browsers have been building in native ad-blocking for a while:

firefox ad-blocking.jpg

Firefox allows users to turn off content blocking for specific sites with a click, \

Firefox - turn off ad blocker.jpg

and (unlike other ad-blocking tools I've used over the years), the click-choice is not persistent.   To me, that is a real plus, and I've used feedback to recommend that to the Edge Team.

@tomscharbach 

Tom, the comments from you and the other person are very interesting.  Certainly, suggests that while, there may be other attempts at Chromium-based browser, ours is/will be the best.  And, even, though, other things say they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, it may not be true, in practice.  Also, it is cool to have the pros & cons of default ad blocking addressed.  I don't recall, by name, who here had requested it for Edge.  Anyway, interesting stuff, considering what we are working on ourselves. Great input.  Helps let us know Edge C is on the right track & doing good things.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Hello! We have removed the third-party link and edited the post to make sure this message was more directly relevant to the topic. 

On the above article I posted about Firefox losing ground (fizzling) it mentioned that even Chrome took a step back but Edge (the old one) has moved up in usage. I feel once the new Edge goes stable release and people know it's a Chromium based browser it will pretty much knock out most of these third party browsers right off the bat. Give it a few more weeks (or two to three months) it will also knock Firefox out of second which is in second by only a 10 percent ratio. Edge will either be second right behind Chrome balancing out a 50/60 usage share over Chrome or overtake Chrome for first in browser usage. The new Edge has the ability to use Chrome extensions along with Microsoft own Extensions, is using the Chromium format, yet is superior in design and usage to Chrome so it's a all around win combination for web browser users of having "the best of all words in one". 

@Eric Starker 

Right on, Eric, cool :thumbs_up:

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 "Certainly, suggests that while, there may be other attempts at Chromium-based browser, ours is/will be the best."

Let's see how Edge Chromium develops before we jump to conclusions.  I certainly hope that Edge Chromium will stand heads and shoulders about Google Chrome, and I am doing my best to help out in that endeavor, but Edge Chromium is in early development at this point and only time will tell.  

"And, even, though, other things say they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, it may not be true, in practice."

Of the dozen or so Chromium-based browsers I know about, most are niche products intended to meet a particular need.  That doesn't translate into a first class general purpose, mainstream browser.  In the Windows environment, Chrome, Edge and Firefox are the mainstream browsers.  Brendan Eich is contending that Brave will be the new Chrome (that is, the browser that takes over the world), but I have my doubts, to be sure.

"Also, it is cool to have the pros & cons of default ad blocking addressed."

I don't use ad-blocker on computers -- other than in-built blockers that go after malicious ads and trackers -- when I have a good (10-15 mb/s and up) connection.  It seems to me that content providers depend on ads for income, and if I'm going to read the content, I can put up with the ads.  

I do use ad-blockers on my travel laptop (hotel connections are often/usually slow) and on the laptop that I use at the railroad museum (abysmal connection speed, and nothing can be done about it),  simply to get to the content within a reasonable period of time.

But in general, I don't think that ad blockers play fair, and I am glad that Edge Chromium is using tracker-blocking instead.  That's fair play and sound practice.

Edge Tracker.jpg

@Anthony 

Agreed.  Others may try (Chromium-based), but, none will match ours. Nor will the non-Chromium-based.  And, great comments, Folks :thumbs_up::thumbs_up:.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@tomscharbach 

I'm with you, Tom.  To be candid, sure, I'm guarded, too.  But, admittedly, I'm trying to be optimistic, think positively, have some good-faith & hope MS will do this right & well.  Early indicators are encouraging, at least.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg