SOLVED

New Extension problem

Silver Contributor

Ok, new problem since the last 2 updates for both Dev and Can.. When I click an extension icon in the upper right of Edge Dev and Can, the icon disappears and the extension gets this error..  For the Norton safe web extension, this is the 3rd time this error has shown up...
"This extension may have been corrupted" I've attached a screenshot..

extension errors.jpg

I have tried the "repair" option and I've also removed and re-installed and still get this error..  
I have sent a smiley in on it..... 

Dennis5mile

37 Replies
the problem is less regular on the chrome store but I personally always have the problem with ublock whether it comes from Microsoft or google

@Eric__W Does LastPass have problems connecting to its server? Mine can't. It's been like that for months.

Nicol, Lastpass usually connects cleanly to it's server for me. A couple of times it has said it didn't and the icon was orange, but after I dismissed the message box lastpass was in fact signed in.

@Dennis5mile this happens to Dashlane whether it is MS or Chrome extension.  Just installed the latest DEV channel build so will see what happens now but this needs fixing ASAP.

best response confirmed by Dennis5mile (Silver Contributor)
Solution

We were able to reproduce this issue internally, and did some investigation.  It is likely a Chromium issue, and we have filed a bug on Chromium which is getting looked at.  Thank you for your patience as we did our investigations. 

Chromium bug and discussion thread: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=977805

Thanks for the reply @Elliot Kirk, I can say that for me, it does not seem to happen as often as it did when I first reported it, but it does still happen.....

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile You are right, it is not happening nearly as often as it did for a while. However, after reading your post, I checked my extensions and one of that was corrupted. My pet theory is that it did it on purpose. LOL

@NicolSD wrote:

@Dennis5mile You are right, it is not happening nearly as often as it did for a while. However, after reading your post, I check my extensions and one of that was corrupted. My pet theory is that it did it on purpose. LOL

Lol, I used to think that about one of them that I use, "Norton Safe Web"...  After installing/repairing it, it would give a popup asking to allow it to collect data on how I use it/which websites I go to etc.... and I'd always say "No Thanks"   Soon after that, poof it would crash and I'd have to repair it again... lol

@NicolSD 

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile Dashlane for me.  Repair worked.  Only happened once so far.  Installed form Chrome Store.  Nothing else has corrupted yet.

@Dennis5mile After reading your reply, I took another look at my extensions. Another one had broken down. It was Norton's again. This time I blame you. You jinxed me. Nyah!

:face_with_tears_of_joy::rolling_on_the_floor_laughing::face_with_tears_of_joy::rolling_on_the_floor_laughing::face_with_tears_of_joy::rolling_on_the_floor_laughing: I always knew I had it in me....... lol

Dennis5mile

Still an issue for me and the Dashlane extension. The read-me for 77.0.211.2 suggested that a new feature had been included in Edge to auto-repair extensions @Elliot Kirk 

Enabled ability to automatically repair extensions by default.

I had hoped this might fix the issue but it appears to have made no difference

Specific version info from edge://version 

Microsoft Edge77.0.211.2 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
Revision7a50ad32154a1530957b18475b95bc85865af0a8
Operating systemWindows 10 OS Version 1903 (Build 18932.1000)

@Paul Bendall wrote:

Still an issue for me and the Dashlane extension. The read-me for 77.0.211.2 suggested that a new feature had been included in Edge to auto-repair extensions @Elliot Kirk 

Enabled ability to automatically repair extensions by default.

I had hoped this might fix the issue but it appears to have made no difference

Specific version info from edge://version 

Microsoft Edge77.0.211.2 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
Revision7a50ad32154a1530957b18475b95bc85865af0a8
Operating systemWindows 10 OS Version 1903 (Build 18932.1000)

@Paul Bendall 

Yeah, I just had an extension fizzle out on me as well and posted Here at Dev channel build 77.0.211.2 is live about it....
Will probably be fixed next update....

Dennis5mile

Happened to me today with Dashlane in 77.0.217.0 (canary). Seems to happen with Dashlane regardless of whether it was installed from Chrome Store or Edge Extension store. Other extensions (uBlock origin, etc) haven't been impacted, but Dashlane happens about once a week. 

@jamesmiller  Thank you. Having the exact same issue but mine corrupts almost immediately and from both sources e.g. Edge or Chrome extension...

t

Ok, have just ran into a new problem since Dev channel build 77.0.218.4 is live Update.

Lastpass still crashes, but now, I can not even repair/re-install it.. I get this error... Lastpass.jpg

I've cleared cache, cookies everything.. closed and restarted Edge Dev and still get this error... 
I have smily'd it and am posting it here as well....
Dennis5mile

UPDATE;....

I've just figured out what the problem was....
I have flags set and one of them is what has stopped Lasspass from installing..  When I set the "Block unsafe downloads over insecure connections" to enabled, Lastpass would not install with the above error...  But when I set this to "default"  it installed perfectly.  Although I did not have this problem with Norton Safe Web when it crashed and had to repair it, all went well... 

But, Lastpass and Norton safe web are still crashing...

downloads.jpg

Dennis5mile

Yep same issue with me. When I click lastpass icon he desappears. Then have to repair to work again. And in the next session works. In the next it will broken again. I experience that. (Dev Channel)

Says the extension is corrupted. I tryed install from chrome store and the same bug happens.

Well, I have to say, that with the latest version of Canary I am using, I've not had any crashes in a while. Version 77.0.232.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit), When I think about it, it might even be in the last 2 updates 3 with this version. I've not gotten todays update yet, which I presume will happen in the next couple hours..... Extensions seem to be working crash free so far...

Dennis5mile