SOLVED

New Extension problem

Silver Contributor

Ok, new problem since the last 2 updates for both Dev and Can.. When I click an extension icon in the upper right of Edge Dev and Can, the icon disappears and the extension gets this error..  For the Norton safe web extension, this is the 3rd time this error has shown up...
"This extension may have been corrupted" I've attached a screenshot..

extension errors.jpg

I have tried the "repair" option and I've also removed and re-installed and still get this error..  
I have sent a smiley in on it..... 

Dennis5mile

37 Replies

@Dennis5mile The Norton extension was also corrupted on my computer. However, repair did work for me. I am on build 76.0.182.0.

I got the same issue with uBlock Origin and got a heart attack when I started seeing ads. Edge was so slow and there were some popups until I reinstalled it.

@NicolSD wrote:

@Dennis5mile The Norton extension was also corrupted on my computer. However, repair did work for me. I am on build 76.0.182.0.

@NicolSD 

Yeah, I've done repair 3 times now and re-installed the same... Last about a minute and poof, gone again.....

Dennis5mile

This problem is "Still" happening!

Dennis5mile

Yes, the problem is still happening. However, one thing I have noticed is that only the extensions from Microsoft seem to become corrupted, not the ones from Google. I wonder why.

@Dennis5mile wrote:
This problem is "Still" happening!

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile 

@Dennis5mile I am having the same issue recently with Dashlane extension, repair works for a time and then the extension becomes corrupt within the same Edge session.

Reported via Feedback

The problem isn't happening for me anymore but I installed uBO from the Chrome Web Store and don't have any extensions from the Microsoft Store installed.

@pneenkoalabear I have extensions from both sources but did notice that only the Microsoft ones seemed to be affected.

Same issue as @Paul Bendall - I keep repairing Dashlane, but a day or so later, back to corrupt status.  I sent a smiley about it as well.

Same here all my extension are corrupt. i repair 10 minutes later all corrupt again !

Hi @Dennis5mile, this sounds really bad.  I have filed a bug on this and am sending mail to the team that owns extensions.  What was the first build that you noticed this happening on?  I also saw someone mention that only extensions installed from the Microsoft Store were affected, is that something that others have noticed too?  Thank you for letting us know about this issue.

Elliot

@Elliot Kirk This thread was started nearly a month ago. Yet, we're still waiting for a fix. But do you know which problem is worse? LastPass not connecting to its server. This has been reported numerous times for months now (both here and using Mr. Smiley) and we have no idea when you guys are going to do anything about it. LastPass is important for security yet there has been seemingly no action on the Microsoft front.

Bad news (or good news it seem's) my adblocker is corrupt (and it's installed from chrome webstore) @Elliot Kirk so i don't know if it's microsoft webstore but all the extension are touched
Well, don't know about the chrome store as I would never download/install anything from there anyway..... So all troubles I'm having are those extensions from MS store...

As for what build it all started, you would have to go back to the date I first posted this which was "06-06-2019 09:37 AM" and then go back 2 updates prior to that.....

Dennis5mile
it seem's is an extension who is corrupt for instance, ublock origin corrupt itself on chrome and microsoft (same for nanoblock a fork of ublock), dashlane and lastpass so it possible the coruption comme to some fonction for extension
uBO wasn't corrupt on Chrome or Firefox for me tho
corruption problem not resolved in 77.0.209.0

For those whose nano adblock and ublock are corrupted very often passed (temporarily) adblock it seems that it is less affected by corruption.

Elliot, Lastpass was the extension most often corrupted. It was installed from the MS Store. I removed it and installed it from the Chrome Store and it hasn't had the problem. I have the MS Store version installed on regular Edge and IE and it has not had the problem.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dennis5mile (Silver Contributor)
Solution

We were able to reproduce this issue internally, and did some investigation.  It is likely a Chromium issue, and we have filed a bug on Chromium which is getting looked at.  Thank you for your patience as we did our investigations. 

Chromium bug and discussion thread: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=977805

View solution in original post