Netflix Performance & Issues

Copper Contributor

Does anyone have any comments on Netflix performance?

I cant see stream quality but it looks like its 1080p (better than I was getting on firefox, 720p).

However I have an issue where playback sometimes slows down to less than 1fps, and I need to rewind or fast forward a little to get normal playback speed and audio back.
Anyone else running into this issue?

I'm runnin 74.1.96.24. Have some edge extensions running (Bitwarden, ublock origin (disable on netflix domain) and tampermonkey (no scripts for netflix), and 1 chrome extension (darkreader, but disabled on netflix)

14 Replies
I mean..I tried 4K 60fps streams/videos on Youtube and never had a problem with the new Edge, tried a couple other sites too like Twich and Mixer. so i guess it's a netflix issue?

@HotCakeX 

definately a netflix issue, but I don't have this issue with any other browser...
What can I do to get some diagnostics? Can't make a screencap because of copyrighted materials playback

@kid8086 

You can use Ctrl+Alt+Shift+D to show playback stats on netflix.

As for the screenshot, have netflix open and playing, but click on your taskbar and press Win+PrintScreen to take a screenshot.

You mean the netflix website don't allow you to take a screenshot or you won't do it?
anyway, netflix has an app for Windows 10 you can use it in the meantime

@HotCakeX 

I mean I may be prohibited from uploading it anywhere if there is any copyrighted information in the screenshot. However I noticed that the video blacks out when I take a screenshot which is good.

Yes there is an app for windows 10, which is **bleep**, and about 12 other browsers that work fine.
Its a topic about experiences with the new chromium edge, not trying to get netfix to work.

Thank you for your feedback @kid8086. If you wouldn't mind, can you file a feedback with the smile (it allows us to capture some telemetry that will make it much easier for us to understand the technical side of this issue). To file feedback with the in application feedback, just click the smile icon at the top right corner of the browser window, and then report your issue. If you add your email address you will get some automated emails that will allow you to follow along with the issue as it gets triaged and resolved.
Thanks,
Elliot

I am also having issues with Netflix and globoplay.com (brazilian VOD). The playback gets "glitchy" sometimes and the video sometimes freezes.

Will definately do!
I have done it twice already, I got an automated reply. Unfortunately I didn't get a ticket number or anything to help you find the feedback/telemetry in the MSFT system.

Something else I noticed whist using the Netflix telemetry; Sometimes it keeps dropping frames and I don't notice anything in the playback. Sometimes when the the playback "breaks" it doesn't report any dropped frames.

image.png

Just tested Netflix, I don't have the 4K package but it does play the video at the 1080 resolution which is higher than is currently available in other browsers. I am running Version 74.1.96.24 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

@Elliot Kirk

There are some other issues i figured out.

• Sometimes a Netflix video stucks. I need to drag the time slider to another point. 
  • Subtitles doesn't disappear by themselves. I need to move the mouse for that.
  • Subtitles make the favorites and address bar appear. See here:

With subtitlesWith subtitles

Without SubtitlesWithout Subtitles

Edge Version 75.0.137.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)
Those are exactly the symptoms I am having.
Sometimes it takes several hours before the issue occurs, once it has occurred it seems to come back faster when resolved with rewinding, until the browser is restarted

What else caught my attention ;
When I open the Netflix page the entire screen flashes blue. I reckon the is the activation of the drm, I haven't noticed this behavior in other browsers

@Elliot Kirk 

Hello Elliot,
I have been submitting a lot of feedback in regards to this issue.
However I do not get any tickets to follow up on them.
Is there any progress on this issue? are you able to reproduce it?
I am still having the issues with Version 75.0.139.1.

I have tried completely removing Edge Chromium, but to no avail.

I'm not having this issue with the regular Edge, or Chrome/Firefox (using different DRM)

Ok, so small update;

I have disabeled in the Edge://flags

#edge-playready-hevcdecodingexperiment-win10

I don't know what the "default" entails, however I set it to "disabled"  yesterday (but kept Playready DRM enabeled!) and had no issues in playback since. I will trail some more this evening. It is still playing in 1080p on my 1080p screen, can't check 4k since I don't have a 4k display.

What is the behavior like when it is set to"default"? is it enabled at all sites that use playready? or just on Netflix? I don't think I use any other services that use playready, which kind of explains why I have no issues with fullHD/4k streaming on any other websites (Vimeo, Youtube, F1TV, etc).

The subtitles still stick sometimes, but that is not quite consistent enough to do any trail and error.

Edit:
So I tried again this evening, and it craps out again after about 5 minutes. So it didn't help. I was just lucky yesterday.

@kid8086 

I'm still having similar issues with dropped frames (a 30 FPS movie is playing like a 10 FPS movie). 

I also don't have the 4K package, so it's still an issue with 1080p streams.

This is Chromium Edge Dev Version 77.0.230.2 (Official build) dev (64-bit) and this bug has existed at least since the previous build, 77.0.223.0. Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 (17134.885).

Anyone else seeing this?