More Customizable New Tab page

Brass Contributor

I love where Edge is going except for the new tab page. There should be an option to completely disable the feed. Firstly, it shows all sort of junk that I never want to see. It is US-centric which is wildly out of context in India. It would be better to have panels that could actually contribute to my productivity ( e.g., Microsoft Todo integration with my lists on new tab, Outlook mailbox or even recently shared / edited on Office 365, etc).

Also, when Dark theme is selected, the New Tab page should also get dark. Focussed mode could take some inspiration from Humble New Tab which actually gets out of the way of the user. 

12 Replies

I agree. It would also be nice to have the option to remove the "Microsoft News" bar at the bottom when in "Focused" or "Inspirational" mode (It's especially distracting in Inspirational mode). 

I was able to get the flag enabled for "Microsoft Edge Theme" but I can't find how to enable dark mode.
These are some great suggestions @naiyersaif. We are still tweaking the new tab experience. In fact, it will be the next article we post. Coming soon.

The feed is absolutely filled with junk content. I had this converstaion with Bing executives when I was involved in a panel with them. First and foremost people should be able to chose to never see articles from certain sources and then an effort needs to be made to make sure that only quality content is present in that feed. What does it say about Microssoft when it delivers junk content to its web browser users?

@Dwk001 If you have dark theme chosen for Windows, somewhere in the settings, then Edge will pick that up and use the built in dark theme.

@naiyerasif I like the 'nothing' option. Right now I think you are seeing English focused since it is an early version. I expect they will expand that to more personalized based on location, etc before consumer release.

Right now the biggest problem with the NTP is that unlike the UWP version of Edge, the news feed cannot be completely disabled. This will prevent me from using this as my daily driver.

I'd also like to control what search engine the NTP search bar uses - there's zero reason to lock it to Bing and you will only lose users doing that.

I agree that the news feed needs the option to be disabled. We also should be able to change the news feed location on the NTP like the old version (Edge UWP?). I'm in Canada and get Canadian news, but I'm from the US and I need to be able to switch between the two locations.

Why can the favorites bar not be removed from the New Tab Page?

Just building over to previous replies and my own post. I have no problem over a company recommending their own products. However, such products should be really useful and should have proper opt-in. The problem with feed is that it is not good enough (as compared to my tailored Feedly news feed), it is algorithmic (which means I have no idea what I'll see on it next) and it can't be disabled (for now) which makes people wonder if the new Edge is really about openness and choice.

I would also like an option to remove "my feed", no mattter how relavant it may be to me, I still don't want it, I should be able to disbale it.

@naiyerasif I would like to see the website icons slightly smaller and be able to have another line of them.  And (as in Chrome) to be able to drag them to reorder them as I might prefer.