Microsoft Edge Insider channels are now live for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1

Microsoft

We are happy to announce that the Canary channel of Microsoft's next browser is now live and available for downloading on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.  Read more in our blog here!

14 Replies
Now that this milestone is met, maybe the very first beta channel release is next up the sleeve?

@Elliot Kirk  Very excited to give it a try! Is there any way to install for all users. It looks like the installer and application run in the local directory %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp\<random> which is just a bad place to put executables... We block anything from running in \Local (and \Roaming) via GPO as the is the preferred location for viruses. Any way to install the application with these restrictions? 

Thanks!

@Elliot Kirk Great that Win7 and Win8 are supported. Is there a timeline for native support on Win10 on ARM? I'm a little disappointed that past OS versions get support, while people that bought into the brand new WOA are being left out. 

@Elliot Kirk 

I keep getting the Administrative Mode pop up on Windows 7 

How do I get rid of it?

It is very annoying.

Where to get offline installers?
Thanks for that dudes. Question. You included a :do not track update in Canary but it didn't make it's way over to the latest Dev build. Can you give an explanation for this. It's pretty cool to be able to send do not track to websites and other options to implement security options. It would be nice to see it in the Dev on the next update. Thanks.
Just hit cancel and it should ask you if you want to install it without admin privileges. At least it did for me.
There are not offline installers that I know of. You can try installing it online and copy the folder under AppData>Local>MIscrosoft>Edge SXS to a flash drive and see if that works.

@Deleted Are you sure you're looking at the right place? I have the latest version and I found it easily.Do not track.jpg

@xhero25x 

This is not on install - this comes up everytime you start the browser

Although I can just hit cancel or close it, it is just annoying.

I will try to reinstall it and see if it gives me that option like you mention.

Thank you.

-VJ

@Elliot Kirk Good news. My work PC is still on Win 8.1, so I was looking forward to that. Just installed and set it up.   Runs smoothly so far.  

Next feature I am looking forward to is the Profile Sync of Extensions.

Yes, I've been there also, but under Canary an additional dialogue box opens up that offers more ways on configuring the do not track option.

@xhero25x 

@Elliot Kirk 

When will linux version rolled out? I'm curious for it. Thanks