Microsoft Edge Canary Version 77.0.237.0 Crashes on start up

Copper Contributor

Hi there, I have a problem with the newest Canary version off Edge. The problem is that when I open edge, its shows only white screen and then its shutsdown, I cant do anything, its like that its crashes and dont do anything more, I dont get any error message on my screen, but I find a debug log and this is the message its shows all the time when its crashes.

"[0804/093748.205:WARNING:minidump_to_upload_parameters.cc(71)] duplicate annotation name metrics_client_id, discarding value 4b778907ccd94d988d9c673691f6ec3e"

Can anyone help me with this problem, I did not have any problem before :(

3 Replies

@Primestar hi I have tha same issue, on both of my PC's, same dev account.

The thing about Canary is that it's the alpha of all the versions. Meaning it's the beta of the beta of the beta and usually where newest ideas can be tested (or put in but not yet tested) which might temporary "break" the browser. When that happens it could be nothing more then having to wait into the next day's version is released that corrects the issue. Of course it can be on the users end too but with Canary it's usually the browser in these cases. Although Microsoft doesn't state this on their Canary version, Google's Canary is very clear that their Canary is subject to being (on rare occasion) unstable and at times will crash or just not work especially when experimenting with new features (or if you try out a new feature that's so new it's unstable and hasn't yet been fully if at all tested) that might at first break the browser while they sort out the coding. The plus side is that it doesn't happen very often and you get to try/test new features before any other of the test browsers see them (some features that might not even make it up to Dev version). I've been using Google Canary for years and once in a blue moon they will try a new feature or work on something and it will break the browser for that day's version which is usually corrected by the next day (or even sooner with a 00.000.00.1 version for that day). Edge has been much better with their Canary in regards to breaking and crashing issues. I haven't had any problems and it's working fine for me.

@Primestar I completelly uninstal edge cannary, delete all files under "c:\users\_USER_\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS" and install it again. Now it works on all my machines.