Microsoft Build 2019 - Megathread

Microsoft

The 2019 Build conference just kicked off in Redmond, and the next version of our Microsoft Edge browser is one of the stars.  This is the first public peek at some of the things that we have been working on and we would love to hear what you think.  I have created this thread to offer a single place to discuss all things Edge at Build.

Added: Link to Kyle's Blog post discussing the Build announcements in greater detail.

36 Replies
That's awesome! We're looking forward to getting that out in our preview builds down the road. We are also seeing very similar thoughts on OneNote in this thread and many other areas. So you're not along on that one =)
That's great to hear! We can't wait for you to try it.

@Shaun_K Glad there's a groundswell for OneNote!

What exactly is "the feedback loop"? Is that a specific post or a survey for feedback? Or is that like a "special" Edge developer we need to reach out to?

@Elliot Kirk I'm excited about Collections and can't wait to try it out in the dev channel. I was worried that the new Edge might simply put a Microsoft skin on top of Chromium and not offer any stand-out features. But Collections looks really handy and unique. Also, very happy to see built-in tracker blocking. That's something Google will never do!

@tomscharbach 

I agree with you, Tom.  I'd love to see IE go out the window (no pun intended).  That it would be kept around, in whatever form, because of some inescapable reliance or need for it.  I have long thought both would be long gone by now.  But, if it's done in some safe/isolated manner.  You'd think it would be necessary to bother with it, at all, anymore.  Yet, alas...

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Elliot Kirk 

Won't take a lot of words, no need.  Collections, Privacy & (for those who need it) IE Mode are ALL bloody brilliant!  The reasons are obvious beyond needing comment.  ALL good stuff that is great to see!

Heaps of Users are going to like those 3 privacy settings!

MS has been working on Collections for a while & it's a very cool & powerful concept.

See What's Next

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@ikjadoon It's a combination of everything really. The feedback from the smiley face, what we see on social media, and the contributions made here on the forums as well. Basically anywhere the community provides feedback we track it. 

This question is for microsoft developers, what will happen to standalone IE when the new edge with IE mode gets released? Are you going to remove standalone IE entirely or just keep the executable only and have it redirect to edge in IE mode like how starting with internet explorer 10 using 32 bit on a 64 bit OS would just redirect to the 64 bit version of internet explorer.

I cannot wait for Collections and IE support!

@Elliot Kirk Super excited to see these features roll out in the development channels. While the collections has definitely caught my eye, I'm much more interested in this security feature. Will there be any documentation/provided testings for in-depth verification this accomplishes control of the different trackers on a website? (Maybe not during this stage, but when it's being publicly released?)

All of this sounds great. I'm curious which features will not make it over into Edge for macOS? I presume that IE mode won't make the cut as it probably depends on the IE rendering engine built into Windows. 

The three called videos as well as the complete whats next video was interesting...However it would have been better if you had slowed it way down so poor sighted individuals could have a chance to see what the cursor was doing on the screen

@Shaun_K Got it. Thank you so much! I sent it all via the smiley face!

Collections is a definite YES! Must Have! @rjansen85 

@shyiko 

Me, I feel all 3 things can fall in the "Must have" category.  Collections, Security choices & IE Mode for Enterprise.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Both favorites of mine as well. Can't wait to roll it out to the community.
Awesome. Thank you for sending it over.