Microsoft Build 2019 - Megathread

Microsoft

The 2019 Build conference just kicked off in Redmond, and the next version of our Microsoft Edge browser is one of the stars.  This is the first public peek at some of the things that we have been working on and we would love to hear what you think.  I have created this thread to offer a single place to discuss all things Edge at Build.

Added: Link to Kyle's Blog post discussing the Build announcements in greater detail.

36 Replies
The new Privacy settings look great. I think the three choices with details is a great way to give customers an understanding of what exactly is going on. Also, the collections features looks awesome!

@Elliot Kirk 

I missed the Linux support announcement?

@rjansen85  "The new Privacy settings look great. I think the three choices with details is a great way to give customers an understanding of what exactly is going on."

This is a screenshot of the privacy controls.  A winner.

edge-privacy-controls.jpg

@xanplx  "I missed the Linux support announcement?"

Nah.

Microsoft has yet to announce any plans for Linux support.   The demand is there, though, so maybe someday.         

@Elliot Kirk 

My quick thoughts:

• Is OneNote export coming to collections? Perhaps Notion or Evernote support, too? ;) 
  • Intrusive ad-blocking is a must: no more auto-playing audio ads, no more giant pop-ups, no more "impossible-to-end" redirects. Microsoft can set the bar here for browser defaults.
  • Desperately waiting for Extension and Settings Sync in Edge preview! I want to install it on multiple systems, but it's pretty hard w/o Sync.

@ikjadoon I agree, OneNote (or Sticky Notes inside OneNote) support would be good. I don't like how Collections is it's own app, instead of using OneNote somehow. I don't want to spread out those notes all over the place. 

Hi @Elliot Kirk - do you have anything to share with regards to how Edge will be managed by organisations and when this will be available? e.g. group policies, Intune, etc.

Will  best Favorites UI on current edge be removed?  even Favorites UI on android Edge app is better !  you people think this chrome's  favorite list   menu is better?    this is horrible idea ! don't listen to the terrible people ! even  favorites UI on ie 11 is better than chrome or this  Edge

@Elliot Kirk  Really looking forward to the collections feature, would be great to export to OneNote as well though.

Really looking forward to the IE integration. We have several apps that require IE to run... this would be a great feature...

@xanplx  As it turns out, the build conference had a slide that suggests that Microsoft intends, eventually, to release a Linux build of Edge Chromium.

Edge on Linux.jpg

No announcement, though, about Linux.  But there has been an announcement about all of the others on the slide.

@PrdAmrican "Really looking forward to the IE integration. We have several apps that require IE to run... this would be a great feature..."

I understand the importance of IE to Microsoft's enterprise customers (I don't have a use for IE and remove it from my Windows 10 computers), and I think that integrating IE into Edge Chromium is a tab is a positive development.  It will make things easier for those who need IE, and (one hopes, anyway) that it will allow Microsoft to (eventually) remove IE from Windows 10 altogether.  

My concern is that IE presents security risks that were not present in Edge (Classic), and I assume (trust but verify?) that Edge Chromium will be as secure as Edge (Classic).   To help insure Edge Chromium's security, it seems to be that IE should be containerized within Edge Chromium to isolate any security issues from crossing over from IE to Edge Chromium.

@Elliot Kirk  There are many touch screen devices. i have used these 2in1s for about 5 years.  asus, acer, dell, lenovo, hp. surface and all oems you know , for tablet mode, " pin to start " is a must. 

For about 5 years,  i've never used The desktop UI (desktop Icons ) , every things are in the start menu (start screen). 

When i use the edge on desktop mode,  i still use tiles in Start menu. on Edge , I click the favorites button and use favorites on it just like ie 11 and current edge .

@rjansen85 Thank you for the kind words. We are excited for both features to hit our preview builds down the road. Just out of curiosity, what do you like the most out of the collections feature? 

No Linux support announcement made at this juncture. However, it has been mentioned a few times from varying members of the team that we are always open to looking into expanding down the road. Should anything change, or new information present itself you can trust that we will be sharing that out here.
You're absolutely right. We are seeing the demand thanks to everyone who has shared feedback via the send a smile, the forums here, and on social media.
All great points. I can tell you specifically to your first point you're not the only person that has commented about OneNote exporting. Just about 200+ people on the show floor asked me the very same question. I'd say like everything else be sure you send that through our feedback loop. We are dedicated to tracking that feedback and the more we have the better we can discuss options around it.
Definitely noted. Great feedback. At this time not sure where collections will end as we are just getting started, but love the forethought that we're seeing regarding where our community would like it to go. Thanks!
In regards to how it will be managed I'd have to look and see if there is anything to share on that front as honestly I'm just not that in sync with that information. For the release date of the final product, which I assume you're referring too. All we can say is that once it's ready you'll know that it's coming. I know not the answer you probably wanted, but right now. That's the best I can provide. Stay tuned for more details. =)