Manage search engines - too difficult to find

Iron Contributor

The ability to define custom searches is fantastic, but currently it's way too difficult to locate in Settings. Currently the user has to go to Settings > Privacy and Services > Address Bar > Manage Search Engines. This is not intuitive, and way too deep in the settings menu. 

In Chrome, right-clicking on the address bar will show "Edit search engines" at the bottom of the context menu. Please copy that behavior to Edge, because it makes the feature more discoverable. 

And second, in Chrome Settings, "Search Engine" is a top level section in the Settings page. Please consider adding a top level Search Engine settings menu option in Edge as well. 

7 Replies

@ChromeRefugee -- We should also have more options than just Bing and Google.

You can have more options just visit a site with a search engine it gets automatically added to the list.
I use this feature for most of the times, I've added approx all possible websites (which I use, obviously) manually and It makes surfing the net too easy,

@NicolSD You can already manually add as many as you like. Do a search for let's say the word testsearch on any website, and look at the resulting address in the address bar. In the address bar, replace the word testsearch with %s  and copy the edited address. That's your new custom search. You can go to edge://settings/searchEngines  , press add, add a name and a custom "keyword" that calls it, and paste the edited address in the URL box. Works for many websites. 

Would it be possible to at least add Chrome's "Edit search engines" right-click menu option to the address bar? That would already be a big help. 

@ChromeRefugee 

I see it like you.

We  need an own top level section for search settings into the settings page. Finding the settings under Privacy and services is not so logically.

Hva you send this via the feedback button on Edge browser including a link to thís community discussion?

@ChromeRefugee Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes, as @htcfreek mentioned, submitting a piece of feedback through the browser would be a great way to "+1" this for the New Tab Page team.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge