Loving Edge Dev.....

Silver Contributor

@Elliot Kirk

Every day that I use this new Edge Dev version 74.1.96.24 (Official build) dev (64-bit) the more I get impressed at its response rate.

Opening Facebook and having 6 other tabs open that are linked to facebook, while watching and responding within a live video feed within FB, having twitter open, windows mail, Edge classic open and NOT a slow down anywhere. No Lag, nothing..... I am super impressed with Edge Dev..... and the only extension I have loaded is Adblock.   And the Browser Task Manager is a GREAT added plus.... No more having to close the browser down because of some over long running script.... 

Kudos to the team.. so far so good.... Waiting to see how the rate of response holds up with new versions coming up......

Dennis5mile

4 Replies

@Dennis5mile 

The Edge team has done a remarkable job so far, adapting the Chromium/Blick/V8 base to Edge UI/functions/features.

The initial release (Dev 74.1.96.24 in my case) is so solid, stable and functional that I've adopted Edge Chromium as my primary browser on all my Windows computers, and intend to stick with that though the development process, absent something unexpected.

We are very early in the development cycle, and as the Edge team builds on the initial release, adding features/functions from Edge Classic to the mix and developing new features/functions not now in Edge Classic, I expect that we'll see problems cropping up (I've read, for example, that one of this week's Canary builds created crashing issues, resolved in the next daily build). That's to be expected and doesn't bother me, although I'll be staying out of the Canary Channel because I want a reasonable level of stability given that I'm using Edge Chromium as my primary browser.

I don't have the ability to do performance metrics, but so far the browser seems very fast and performs well on all three of my Windows computers, a i7 desktop, an i5 laptop and a netbook-level A9-9420e laptop. My only concern is relatively high resource use and attendant battery run-down. Chromium (and Chrome) are notorious in that regard and I expect that MS will tune Edge Chromium over time to bring Edge Chromium more in line with Edge Classic in that regard.

I'm with you, though. The deeper I get into Edge Chromium, the better I like it.

I would have no doubt that Edge Dev will slow down as new features and functions are added, but just how much no one will know till the release.

I would really love it if they would give the user the option to disable all/any feature/function that they do not use or want. Some things you can't as of now, because it is part of the browser, but it would be nice if they changed that and gave us more control...... I'm all for a faster browser that is not bogged down with all the bells and whistles .........

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile "I would really love it if they would give the user the option to disable all/any feature/function that they do not use or want. Some things you can't as of now, because it is part of the browser, but it would be nice if they changed that and gave us more control ... I'm all for a faster browser that is not bogged down with all the bells and whistles ..."

You and me both, and ditto for W10 itself -- every time I do a fresh install of W10, I have to slog around removing stuff I don't use, some of which is downright dangerous (IE, legacy NET, SMB 1.0, and so on), take the bloatware out (does anyone actually want Candy Crush?), and strip out most of the performance-killing visual effects and other "features" that bog the system down.  It is just crazy.

I'd like to see operating systems, browsers and other software be built on a Core-plus model, where the core was installed, and users added on functions/features as needed or desired.  I think that comes under the category of "Yeah, you wish ..."

@tomscarbach, @Dennis5mile Thank yuo for your kinds words, and your suggestion on the customization. I have let the team know that the community is asking for the ability to more tightly control their browsing experiences.