Import of favourites from Edge not reliable

Deleted
Not applicable

Import from Edge mangled my favourites - I have a load of favourites (in folders) on the bar plus others in the main favourites area (again in folders/sub folders). The import appeared to do the bar fine, but some of the others were moved up from their position in a folder to the top of the imported favourites.

As I had a "backup" HTML export from Edge, I tried this - the import worked much better, not mangling the favourites, but obviously needed to move the folders around to complete the import.

It would be much nicer if the import kept the complete structure of the favourites, moving those not in the bar ideally directly under "Other Favourites" and making sure it does not mangle the favourites from Edge when it does so.

6 Replies
Thank you for the feedback. It will let the team that is responsible for importing favorites know about this. Just to summarize, you were trying to import your favorites from the current version of Microsoft Edge into the Preview version of Microsoft Edge and the favorites that were in folders were put into either the wrong folder or not in any folder. Can you please let me know what version of Windows 10 you are running, and what preview channel you selected?

@Elliot KirkWindows 10 Pro x64 on Slow Ring (build 18362.30). Edge Version 74.1.96.24 (Official build) dev (64-bit). And yes, the favorites that were in folders were put into either the wrong folder or not in any folder.

@Deleted 

I am a PM in the Edge team and first of all want to thank you for taking our browser for a spin.

I need osme help to better understand this problem that you faced. Can you elaborate on the exact steps that you took to import the data from Edge.

I am unable to simulate the issue that you stated. here is a screen from my attempt. In my attempt you can see the favorites hierarchy in Old Edge and the hierarchy in the imported folder in the new Edge.

Untitled2.png

Also, if you are comfortable with it, it would help a lot if you can share a similar screenshot showing the exact issue.

Keep the bouqets/bricks/suggestions coming!

@rishavsharanIt was simply imported when I first ran the Edge Insider, and also just tried it using the Import on the favourites bar, and it failed again - when importing from the HTML export file it worked fine. I suspect it is to do with the quantity of favourites - I have probably over 1200 favourites stored over the years across multiple folders and folders in folders.

To test this, clear the test copy of Edge (reset it) and import a large set of favourites, moving those in the Imported folder into the main folder (not the Favourites Bar) – then reset Edge Insider and import them using the import option provided on the favoutrites bar.

If it would help, and if you can provide somewhere to send them directly rather than through the forum, I could send you an HTML export of my favourites for you to try it, and screen shots to show you the issue.

Annotation 2019-04-09 132648.jpg@rishavsharanhere is an extract of the screenshot which I can share, showing the issue.

@Deleted 

@Deleted 

I am unable to simulate the issue on my side with mock data. And I am unable to grok the folder/file heirarchy from the screenshot.

If you are comfortable with it, would you like to share an export of your bookmarks in the old Edge with me at rishav.sharan@microsoft.com ? 

Either way, we will continue to monitor this bug.