IE mode?

Copper Contributor

I just downloaded the Edge Dev Chromium and I am trying to figure out how to use the IE mode. Any help would be great. 

11 Replies

@MikeS75 Last I have heard the IE Mode is not available in the public previews of Edge Dev and Edge Canary yet.  Think Microsoft is still working on it internally.

@MikeS75 

Hi Mike 🙋‍:male_sign:

Your wish is my command :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1st > the site you want to run in IE. Now, > ... to More tools & hit Show this page using internet explorer. Now, you will have a 2nd tab of the same site with the IE logo in front of its URL; can, now, delete the Edge tab of it and carry on using the site in IE Mode.

To IE.jpg

And IE.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 have you enabled any flag or what? I do not see that option yet...

No flag is needed. Please, see my answer to Mike, below.

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903 I followed the same steps outlined by you before, but as I mentioned earlier, I don't see that option yet...
See the snip here:

image.png

Thanks

Ok. Well I'm out on my Mobile :mobile_phone: right now. It shows on both Canary and Dev, if I recall rightly. All I can think is we are not looking at the same Build numbers, maybe. What is yours? Will compare to mine as soon as I can. Check that you have the latest Build.

Cheers,
Drew
I'm already on the latest builds. I update as soon there is an update. I'm running build 77.0.197.0 and still don't have the option. Are you running Edge on 19H1 or 20H1 builds?

@Rohit Yadav 

Rohit,

Actually, in my case, Dev & Canary are running in my Win10 Insider Build 18922.1000 which, is 20H1

Although, I would not have thought OS Version or Build # would have any bearing.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903  

"Actually, in my case, Dev & Canary are running in my Win10 Insider Build 18922.1000 which, is 20H1"

Home or Pro?

"Although, I would not have thought OS Version or Build # would have any bearing."

Depends on how MS is implementing it. If MS is running the IE tab in a mini-VM or sandbox to protect the system from security risks, then the OS would be involved of necessity.

If the Windows Insider tracks are given any technical information about how MS is implementing IE tabs, would you let us know and point us to the link?

@tomscharbach 

Pro, Tom.

And, I, really, don't recall reading anything in our materials about that.  I'll try to do a wee bit of research & see if I come up with anything, maybe, tomorrow, sometime..  But, odd as it sounds, maybe there is something to it... I just threw Edge Dev & Canary on my 18362.175 Win10 and have the same as you, no IE in More tools.  We best make sure the Team is aware of this.  Oh John, Gabriel, yoohoo, if you are seeing this, you should read it.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903  "I just threw Edge Dev & Canary on my 18362.175 Win10 and have the same as you, no IE in More tools.  We best make sure the Team is aware of this."

I think we can count on the fact that the Edge Team is well aware of the fact that IE in a tab requires changes to the OS, assuming that they are sentient beings.  

The hint is in the error message: "Can't open this page in Internet Explorer mode. The version of Internet Explorer on this device doesn't support integration with Microsoft Edge. Updating your PC might solve the problem."

That suggests that IE in a tab requires changes to the Internet Explorer 11\" engine in the OS in order to run. 

The security question remains, though:  How is Microsoft implementing IE in a tab?  Internet Explorer  is now depreciated as a browser and instead described by Microsoft as a set of compatibility components, some of which (Silverlight, ActiveX and so on) come with inherent risks. 

That's why I'm interested in how Microsoft implements.  It seems to me that Microsoft would have to run IE in a tab within a mini-VM (Hyper-V lite?) or in some sort of sandbox in order to ensure reasonably levels of security for the OS and the browser.  But Microsoft might be doing it another way.