IE mode only for 20H1 insiders?

Copper Contributor

I asked this in another thread, but I believe this is worth making a new thread over. So I've been seeing reports on other websites that IE mode is now available in dev/canary edge chromium, but if I try it out, it just says I need to update my version of internet explorer. I've also heard that it only works right now with those who are 20H1 insiders. Is that true? Can someone from the development team or someone who is a windows 10 insider shed some light on this confusion?

25 Replies

@tomscharbach @Beau Mersereau 

Oh geeez:exclamation_mark: Maybe, I did the same & didn't, actually, try it.  Sure, thought I had or would have. I think I may have seen it in More tools & thought, ok, there you go, same as you did, Tom.  But, yes, I am receiving the same message in 18362.175.  I guess "sloppy testing" on my part, too. Another time where one should not assume anything; like because it's there doesn't mean it works, apparently.

I, even tried it with Edge C as the default browser, same thing.

Seems that puts it back to working on Insider Builds, only. Grrr, that's weird & sad. Rather leaves all the non-Insiders up a creek.  And MANY maybe even most are, indeed running Edge C on 183672.175

Oh well, someday it'll work & we'll look back & laugh.  "Fun with Betas or Previews". ;)

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 "Seems that puts it back to working on Insider Builds, only. Grrr, that's weird & sad."

No, it is not.  It is good news because it suggests that Microsoft is making changes to the OS as part of the implementation of IE tabs into Edge Chromium. 

I hope that the changes are related to security, effectively containerizing the IE tab to keep both the browser and the OS isolated from IE's depreciated legacy code and legacy apps

Unless Microsoft makes those changes, IE integration will be no more secure than using Blackfish Software's IE Tabs in Chrome.  Zip, to put it in a word.  That won't do.

@tomscharbach 

"suggests that Microsoft is making changes to the OS as part of the implementation of IE tabs into Edge Chromium. 

changes are related to security, effectively containerizing the IE tab to keep both the browser and the OS isolated from IE's depreciated legacy code and legacy apps."

Tom, this ⬆ relates back to exactly the point I made earlier. In the current scenario with 10, Edge & IE... When one tells a site to open with IE, it opens its own, separate, actual, IE browser window.  Whereas the approach with 10, Edge C & IE is completely different.  As I said back then, it, instead, is giving an IE (tab) within the contemporary browser.  Ergo, with all the performance & security of the/a modern browser. Sure call it containerized; point is it's a better, much improved approach that means (especially) Enterprise can work with IE with good performance and peace of mind.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

Thanks. I'll go back to lurking and waiting for this feature to come. I hope Microsoft is going to require people to be on a specific version of Windows 10. I hope they support 1807, 1809, and 1903 from the start.

They also need to support IE tab in Windows Server 2012 R2 (or newer), or this will be a non-starter for our organization. Without that support, Citrix users are screwed, we'll have to switch to Chrome with Legacy Browser Support.

@Beau Mersereau 

Hi Beau,

Yes, it will have to be in the Server, as well.

I'm having a hard time with one thing you said, though...  "I hope they support 1807, 1809, and 1903 from the start."  It would have to apply right across the board because the Major Updates come every 6 months.  so, things have to cover every current version & every next version.  Maybe, you meant 1803 not, 1807. And, also, we don't stay on previous versions; we're only on a version for 6 months at a time.

The whole point here is/was to provide safe, secure access to IE with good performance to & for Enterprise customers, like your organization, & their legacy software.  Ergo, whatever that requires will be.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Y'all might find today's discovery interesting... :thinking_face:🤨  This is new & different behavior today in Canary.  Dev is okay.

This is, even, after running Canary as Admin as per the note.  Dev is giving IE Mode.  Canary is saying it can't do IE Mode and opens IE the same as Edge does, now... in its own separate browser window.  Canary 200 was doing this today and 201 has the same behavior.

I have reported this to Feedback.

I took this snip such that you can see the clock.  It is VERY customisable:exclamation_mark: May perk someone's interest.

And today.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg