SOLVED

I want to know if each version update can sync the previous content

Brass Contributor
3 Replies
I'm not sure what you mean by at first i used the Edge Dev, then i clean installed Windows and installed Edge canary and after i logged in to my Microsoft account, everything that was synced with Edge Dev came back.
best response confirmed by Elliot Kirk (Microsoft)
Solution

@forsak3n I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but:

I'm in the Dev Channel, with weekly updates. 

When I installed Edge Dev on my desktop, the browser imported my Edge Classic favorites and linked them to my MS account.  I fiddled around with them in Edge Dev to set them up the way I wanted them in the Chromium environment.  When I then added Edge Dev to two laptops, Edge Dev automatically installed my favorites from the desktop settings to the two laptops.  Since then, I've tweeked the favorites (adding favorites, renaming favorites, adding new folders, moving favorites to new folders, removing favorites) on one or the other of the three computers, and the changes made on one computer replicated to the others.

I haven't yet been through an update cycle (the Dev Channel will update in a few days, because it is on a weekly cycle), but I am expecting my Edge Dev favorites to port over to the new build without any issues, just as Edge Classic favorites set up do when I clean install Windows. 

We'll see what happens, I guess.

FYI, I notice that Edge Classic and Edge Dev favorites, both linked to my MS account, operate independently of one another.  Changes I make in Edge Dev don't show up in Edge Classic, and changes I make in Edge Classic don't show up in Edge Dev.  That's a good thing, because Edge Dev (like Chrome and Chromium) doesn't set aside a special "Favorites Bar" category, while Edge Classic (like Firefox) does treat "Favorites Bar" favorites as a separate category.  The two require different organization to get them to work the way I want them to, so it would mess things up if the two synced together.

@forsak3n, Thank you for your question. Right now, only Favorites are being synced, and only between machines with the preview channels of Microsoft Edge. We will ba adding more to sync soon.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Elliot Kirk (Microsoft)
Solution

@forsak3n I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but:

I'm in the Dev Channel, with weekly updates. 

When I installed Edge Dev on my desktop, the browser imported my Edge Classic favorites and linked them to my MS account.  I fiddled around with them in Edge Dev to set them up the way I wanted them in the Chromium environment.  When I then added Edge Dev to two laptops, Edge Dev automatically installed my favorites from the desktop settings to the two laptops.  Since then, I've tweeked the favorites (adding favorites, renaming favorites, adding new folders, moving favorites to new folders, removing favorites) on one or the other of the three computers, and the changes made on one computer replicated to the others.

I haven't yet been through an update cycle (the Dev Channel will update in a few days, because it is on a weekly cycle), but I am expecting my Edge Dev favorites to port over to the new build without any issues, just as Edge Classic favorites set up do when I clean install Windows. 

We'll see what happens, I guess.

FYI, I notice that Edge Classic and Edge Dev favorites, both linked to my MS account, operate independently of one another.  Changes I make in Edge Dev don't show up in Edge Classic, and changes I make in Edge Classic don't show up in Edge Dev.  That's a good thing, because Edge Dev (like Chrome and Chromium) doesn't set aside a special "Favorites Bar" category, while Edge Classic (like Firefox) does treat "Favorites Bar" favorites as a separate category.  The two require different organization to get them to work the way I want them to, so it would mess things up if the two synced together.

View solution in original post