I broke favorites sync!

Brass Contributor

I've signed in and out a couple of times and also been trying both the Canary and Dev builds...  I'm not sure what I did, but sync is broken.  If I access the Sync page in settings (edge://settings/syncSetup), and then hit the toggle to turn on syncing, it appears to work...  And then after a few seconds, the toggle automatically slides back to the "off" position, as if a server-side error has been encountered while it was trying to initialize.  No error message is presented.  I've tried this on multiple systems (using the same account) and the behavior is the same.  Using a fresh account seems to work for syncing favorites.

How do I get sync on my original account working again?  Is there an option to delete the sync data cloud/server-side so that I can start fresh?

Thanks.

12 Replies

Not sure what happened, I messed with it some more and something came up telling me to sign out and in again to re-enable sync.  I did so, and now sync is staying enabled.  However, the option to sync "Favorites" is greyed out.

@Aaron44126, Hmmm, I am not sure what is going on here, but I will report it to the folks in chanrge of sync. Thank you for powering through!
Elliot

@Elliot Kirk Thank you.  I did some more testing, strangely the "Favorites" toggle which I have greyed out in the screen shot turns on if I sit on that screen for a short time.  I did some tests and can confirm that Favorites are actually syncing between two different PCs.  Odd.

Let me know if there is any information that I can provide to help get this sorted.

@Aaron44126 I actually just found the same behaviour with a new install. I installed the Dev build on a PC at work and everything worked perfectly, but a fresh install on my home PC has the same problem as you. I tried signing out and back in, and a good deal of toggling, but no luck so far.

@Aaron44126 I'm also seeing issues with syncing.  'Not Syncing' appears in the upper right a few minutes after launching the browser.  It prompts me to sign out and sign in to fix.  This resolves the issue for a few minutes, after which 'Not Syncing' appears again.  Syncing won't stay enabled.

Having the exact same issue. Do you by chance have 2FA enabled? I do, and wondering if that could be the cause of preventing a true login?

@Aaron44126  For what is is worth. I logged out and logged back in (per the settings page to renable sync).  This time, it asked me if i wanted to enable sync and I said 'No".  then went to the sync settings and i was able to slide over the favorites sync option (prior it was greyed out).  That seemed to toggle it on.  

I'll see how long it stays on before the "not syncing" appears again.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know and i'll make a quick screen grab / video for you all.

@birdiewins I have the Microsoft Authenticator app and I can use that to log in, but I haven't flipped any setting that requires 2FA.  Anyway, sync has been working for me after the first shaky day.  Not sure what I did, but it eventually prompted me to sign out and in again, and it has been working since then.  The "favorites" toggle is greyed out but it enables itself if I sit on that screen for several seconds, and I have confirmed that "favorites" sync is functional between two PCs.  (I wish that it would also sync with Edge iOS...)

I will also mention, I have had a few times when I have seen it "double up" a Favorite (add what appears to be an exact copy of an existing entry in the same location) and I'm guessing that sync is responsible for that.  Haven't found a solid way to reproduce it.

Thank you @Aaron44126 for your feedback and patience so far. I am sorry that you faced these issues while using sync. We identified issue in one of the earlier builds and believe that it is resolved now. If you still face issues with sync, please submit feedback using the in-app feedback mechanism (smiley button in the menu) as that helps us collect diagnostic data and act faster on the issue.

We are working on enabling sync across Edge on other platforms (MacOS, iOS, Android etc.). It will be available in upcoming builds.

@akhator Just curious, when is a new build expected to land on the Dev channel?  I know they are weekly but we are going on a bit over a week on the same build.  When a new one shows up, I will check it out.

@Aaron44126 Given that it is our first update on dev channel, it is a little unique and we want to ensure that all our systems are working correctly. We are actively working on getting the update across to you. Really appreciate your patience and willingness to give us feedback. Please keep it coming.