SOLVED

How to open PDF files

Copper Contributor

Hi, It would be perfect and a huge help if I could chose how to open pdf files 1. per site or 2. open in the browser or 3. in acrobat reader. Now I have no flexibility what so ever to chose from an option.

13 Replies
Hi,
you have to set only one program in Windows settings to be the default PDF handler. the rest must be done manually.
the default program will be the one used when you double click on any PDF file in your Windows.
if you want to open it in Edge browser or Adobe reader, you've got to drag and drop your PDF file in those programs.

@HotCakeX  Hi, this has been set in windows, selecting the default PDF handler. This is more an option for the web browser. It would be more flexible if these options were available to chose whatever the PDF opens in the browser or how it opens in a specific website

Are you talking about PDF files in your computer or those hosted online?

For online PDF files, I think, you need an extension to create the connection between installed app and browser. for Adobe Reader:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/open-in-acrobat-reader-from-chrome.html

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adobe-acrobat/efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj?hl=en

Windows settings is the place you're gonna need to change how and what program opens PDF files in your computer folders.

@HotCakeX Thanks for you're reply,

I've already tried these extensions, it worked for me an 2 other people, but for others the pdf was downloaded and not opened in acrobat reader. There are actually forms that people mentioned the same thing that it worked for them and not for others using the same methods.  

Do they all run the same version of Windows, Microsoft Edge insider browser channel and Adobe reader?

@HotCakeX Everyone has the same version of windows,

Edge insider is now used for a few members in the organisation. These options in my first comment were mentioned before were implementing Edge insider for the rest 

I understand,
Are you talking about PDF files in your computer or those hosted online?
PDF files online

@jpanka 

Hi,

first make sure Adobe reader is the default PDF opener and then go here:

edge://settings/content/pdfDocuments

and turn on that option.

Annotation 2019-09-12 165437.png

it will force Edge to download PDF files hosted Online instead of opening them in the browser. 

Annotation 2019-09-12 165446.png

from there just click on the downloaded PDF file and it should be opened in your default PDF reader. 

Even without touching any settings in Edge browser, you can let the PDF file be opened in the browser then save it locally and open in it Adobe reader.

Annotation 2019-09-12 165747.png

hope this helps

@HotCakeX Hi ,

Thats the thing, these files should not be downloaded

They should open directly in acrobat reader. that's why I mentioned that it would be more flexible if I could have the option to select in the settings of the browser would should happen with the document. Open in the browser, Open in acrobat reader(preferred to have the extra option to have a setting per site), or download. 

Thanks

i've found some extensions you can try see if they will work:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/open-in-pdf-viewer/ehndikigeekodlnbohjndjjiikphickb?hl=en

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/open-in-pdf-reader/cehiomcamjpnfmemkmpjadaclohoibgo?hl=en

Also if it works on Google Chrome, it is very likely that it will work on Edge insider as well, it's just a matter of extensions and plugins. Edge chromium or Google chrome, neither can do that without an extension.
also have you checked Adobe's help section? maybe they have a solution for their product that we're missing.

@HotCakeX I've already tried every extension I could find, 

These options i'm preferring to, need to be build in to the browser.

What i've found is that FireFox has the option to open the file in the browser,open in acrobat reader, download it or will ask you what to do with the file.

Now a challenge for edge to have these same options. But have the extra option to select what to do in a specific website ;)

best response confirmed by jpanka (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Firefox does this without installing any extensions or plugins from Adobe?

the way Microsoft's strategy looks like, they want to make the new Edge a competitive PDF reader. they've already done that with the current built-in Edge in Windows 10. few years ago Microsoft had their own app called PDF reader or reader, not sure. but now when you try to download it, you get a message saying that it's no longer needed and Edge in Windows 10 already has more options and it's better PDF reader.
so judging by that and how other users in here suggest features to be added to the new Edge for improving PDF viewing like inking, PDF chapters etc, i think Microsoft would want to improve their own browser instead of pushing users towards a 3rd party software. but we'll see.
I personally hope they add all the good features from Foxit reader and Adobe reader into this new browser.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jpanka (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Firefox does this without installing any extensions or plugins from Adobe?

the way Microsoft's strategy looks like, they want to make the new Edge a competitive PDF reader. they've already done that with the current built-in Edge in Windows 10. few years ago Microsoft had their own app called PDF reader or reader, not sure. but now when you try to download it, you get a message saying that it's no longer needed and Edge in Windows 10 already has more options and it's better PDF reader.
so judging by that and how other users in here suggest features to be added to the new Edge for improving PDF viewing like inking, PDF chapters etc, i think Microsoft would want to improve their own browser instead of pushing users towards a 3rd party software. but we'll see.
I personally hope they add all the good features from Foxit reader and Adobe reader into this new browser.

View solution in original post