How to disable ESC from exiting Full Screen on Mac?

Brass Contributor

On the August 21 update we got an update that included

• Added support for exiting full screen mode using the ESC key on Mac.

This has, however, made it so a single tap of ESC will exit any maximized/full screen mode window. This is very problematic, as when working in full screen, if I get an on-site pop up or dialog box, hitting esc often takes me entirely out of full screen, and I have to re-configure my setup, bouncing back and forth, constantly. 

Question: Is there any way to disable this function? It's killing my workflow

Suggestion: Make it double tapping ESC, single makes for too many accidents. Firefox doesn't have this at all.

3 Replies
There is currently no UI option or flag that can change it. it's the normal behavior in chromium based browsers.

1. try disabling popups on that particular website.
2. use F11 to jump back into full screen mode. (it's the Windows key but i guess you know its mac equivalent)
"it's the normal behavior in chromium based browsers."

That can't be right, neither Chrome nor Chrone Canary exhibit this "minimize on esc" function

> 1. try disabling popups on that particular website.

It's not a particular website, it's every website that has any pop up or dialog function. Ie, Messenger.com I'm about to send a picture or a gif to a friend, I opt against and hit ESC to close the finder from selecting files....the entire window exits full screen mode.

This can't be behavior by design by Microsoft here.

@matb86 

That's right the problem is only on Mac. on Windows ESC button is never used to quit full screen mode, except for full screen videos on YouTube website.

so they have to only modify the Mac version of Edge insider without changing Windows version.