How do I remove Edge and IE so Edge Dev is opened by, say, Windows Update?

Brass Contributor

Edge Dev IS my default browser, but not even Microsoft seems to honor that. How do I remove Edge and IE so they are not used? Uninstall is grayed out.

12 Replies

@JimRome   I have the same issue.  I don't think that MS allows us to remove Edge (Classic) at this point.  IE is easily removed:  Control Panel, Programs, Turn Windows features on or off, unclick Internet Explorer.

Delete IE Control Panel.jpg

I have Edge Canary as my default browser in Windows 10. Web pages for me default to Edge Canary every time I open a page or I click on a link to a web site page with no issues. I haven't used Edge Classic in months nor has it open for any of my websites. The same for IE (in this case three years). So they're both out of site and out of mind. I had set Edge Canary as default through settings, app, defaults. Maybe Edge Dev is different? I don't know. I'm pretty certain (but could be wrong) you can't uninstall Edge Classic or IE. Even if you find one of those "work around's to delete" that pop up on Youtube or the net when Windows does an update, especially a build update, it will reinstall them back. I believe Edge Classic will be dissolved out once Chromium Edge final releases in Windows 10.

Untitled.png

I have Edge Insider Canary as my default browser and Windows 10 latest version always honors it and never opens any other browser. what's your OS build?

@HotCakeX Windows Update opens old Edge. Always. Other things usually work.

@JimRome  "Windows Update opens old Edge. Always. Other things usually work."

Most stuff opens in Edge Chromium for me, too, although "usually" is the operative word. 

PDF files sometimes open in Edge Classic rather than Edge Chromium for no apparent reason.  I've crawled through the settings in Windows 10, Edge Classic and Edge Chromium to try to find out why -- Edge Chromium is the default browser and I've gone through the applicable settings (including "Choose apps by file type ..." and "Choose apps by protocol ..."  as well as the other usual suspects, to no avail. 

And -- go figure -- the other link that seems to open up Edge Classic is a Microsoft Rewards e-mail opened in Microsoft Mail (but not Microsoft Outlook opened in a browser) with an internal Microsoft link.   It is, in this case, obviously some freaky internal thing Microsoft has going, and not (to my mind) worth worrying about.

Edge Classic will be gone soon enough, and that will end the problems.

Oh. For PDF I (always) have Adobe Acrobat as my default to open/edit PDF files. I can't speak for that but outside of that Edge Canary in Windows 10 is my default without any problems. As Tom said, Edge Classic will be gone in due time. IE even though it's incorporated into Windows 10, and still getting security updates, it is "not being encouraged" to be used as a web browser per Microsoft. I wouldn't be surprised if they'll eventually remove IE 11 out of Windows once Edge Chromium goes into Stable release or after a release or two for people to transition over. Especially with IE mode going to be built into Edge C. Although Maybe not and they'll keep IE 11 in Windows, but Edge Classic will be gone. 

What's your OS build? version?
In Windows 10 insider build 18963, IE is gone. they even removed it from the optional features inside control panel. the only built in browser is the old Edge and it has no conflicts with Edge insider canary.

Ah they did take IE 11 out in the upcoming build (Fast Ring build). I figure they might or would once Edge Chromium allows IE type mode or compatibility. I'm in the Slow Ring so I'm in 18362.10013. IE is still there in that build along with the old Edge.

Annotation 2019-08-18 220651.jpg

I have the same directory but clicking on those icons don't do anything. the whole folder is only 1.7MB.
It is the latest insider build.

I'm wondering (or guessing) if its in preparation for the eventual stable release of Edge C. Especially with IE compatibility mode in Edge C there isn't much need or reason to keep IE 11 around anymore once Edge C is released, and it could bring those IE users over to Edge C even if to use the IE mode. 

I was in IE just too remember how it was as I stopped using it when original Edge came out. It shows its age and I don't think extensions can even be used with it (I can be wrong). But I have to admit...it's simple. That's what I like about Edge Chromium is Microsoft is keeping it simple and soft on the eyes even more so than Google Chrome. Although that's just my personal opinion.