How Will Extensions Update On Chromium based Edge?

Copper Contributor

How will extensions for this browser update? The process not listed in any documents on the insider website and there are no posts in the forums discussing the topic that I have been able to find. For UWP Edge (what I'm calling Edge that ships with Windows OS), since the extensions are through the store app, they're updated there. But, although Chomium Edge (Insider x64 Edge) uses the same extensions (not counting google store here), they aren't updated through the store app because they're downloaded through the browser. So I would like to know how updates will function to extensions for this browser moving forward.

An example is my Last Pass extension on UWP Edge just received an update to version 4.27.0 through the store. However, the Last Pass extension on Chromium Edge is still on 4.26.0 even though they should be the same extension. I'm not sure how to check for any update, since there's no button anywhere and no documentation telling me that it would otherwise be automatic.

An interesting sidenote (not necessarily related but may be nice to know for any extension devs who wander across this post) is that under the about section for the LastPass extension on UWP Edge the first line says "LastPass Edge Toolbar", but on Chromium Edge the wording is "LastPass Chrome Toolbar". Odd since it was downloaded through the official Edge store, could just be something in their code that looks for Chromium and then changes the wording appropriately. If I look on the Google Chrome Extension Store for the Chrome extension (which I haven't installed on this browser) it's on version 4.27.1. So even if the extension thinks it's running on Chrome it hasn't automatically updated itself to the chrome version.

9 Replies

@Deleted 

I was wondering this as well.  Will they be automatically updated as they are for Chrome?

@Deleted 

Currently one can find manual Update link on the Extensions page.

@sambul95 

Thanks for the reply.  On the list of installed extensions in the settings I do not see an update link.  Where is it?  I am on the latest Canary version.

Thanks!

@Deleted Just enable Developer Mode and you will see the Update button.

@Vladas 

Thanks.  No wonder I didn't see it.  Is having to have the developer switch on temporary?  I am not a developer, so I normally wouldn't have that switch turned on.  As a non-developer I should be able to update the extensions I have installed.

Thanks

@Deleted I think the apps will be updated as on the Сhrome, automatically and Edge team will enable this auto updates with a first public stable version release.

@Vladas 

OK... great.  Thanks!

Hi,
extensions are updated automatically and available on Microsoft Edge Addons store:
https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/

They also opened the portal to submit new extensions/addons for the Chromium-based Edge:
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/12/16/get-started-extensions-addons-microsoft-edge-chromium...

@coocooman3 

I'm interested in this topic as well.