Have feedback on the memory/CPU usage on Edge? We're Listening!

Microsoft

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders!

My name is Allison and I am a PM working on improving the performance of the new Microsoft Edge browser.

Previously, your feedback let us know that there are times when Edge uses too much memory and CPU. When was the last time this happened to you? What were you doing in this situation? What was your biggest concern about that amount of memory and CPU usage? We are curious about this and would love to learn more.

Thank you for giving us your honest feedback. I look forward to hearing more about where you see Microsoft Edge meeting your expectations, and where it isn’t.

Allison

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

61 Replies

@Allison_Pastewka 

One last experiment.

Slimjet profile 1 with 5 open pages and profile 2 with 3 open pages.

340 MB

Edge Beta profile 1 with 1 open page and profile 2 with 1 open page.

609.2 MB

Thanks.

@Allison_Pastewka 

Hi, are you planning / Could you improve Microsoft Edge to run faster in a terminal session via RDP? Internet Explorer worked very efficiently and this made it stand out from other browsers

&

is there any documentation available how to configure Microsoft Edge in a terminal session (RDP) in the context of best performance on Windows Server?

@Allison_Pastewka 
Even without any tabs opened Edge on Android locks the frequency to max on little cores (sdm660) with an overall CPU usage of around 50% and I don't even know what is it doing in background.

I've tried blocking Background Sync and Notifications from Site Permissions, I've also tried blocking JavaScript but all in vain. 

The only way to bring it back to normal is deleting all user data of the Edge app and start over as freshly installed app but it least for a while until it starts misbehaving again. This brings a bit hit to battery life while using edge in background or foreground. Android will eventually kill it if it stays in background for too long but for the time it stays there it noticeably eats a chuck of remaining battery charge. 

I'm using a Nokia 7 Plus running Android 9.0.

I don't know if it will help debugging but I've attached a "dumpsys activity". Edge's activity name is "u0a258" as seen in the "top" command screenshot.

If more logs are needed let me know, I would happily provide them.

@Coddy Hi, Thank you for the detailed feedback. We would like to help resolve this with you. Could you pleases share this feedback with logs from within the Android app to help us continue to troubleshoot? Thank you, Andrea

Here is the logcat. First is full output, second one is filtered by chromium process because the first one is crowded with other useless outputs.
Did you meant another type of Android logs ?

Edit: I may have misunderstood the request. I've now posted a feedback from within Edge Android but it doesn't allow to attach logs in the form.

@Allison_Pastewka The idle CPU usage of the browser must be reduced further. Even when there is just the NTP open & the browser is minimised, I get around 4-5% of CPU usage by the browser. This is happening everytime, & not a issue that is happening sometimes...

@Allison_Pastewka Edge exhibits high CPU usage in the "Browser" portion of its task manager if left running for over 24 hours. I first noticed this issue two months ago and reported it in October. My computer isn't set to sleep, so often I'll return to my desk to find my system's fans running at full speed.

As stated in the post linked above, both my computer and my wife's computer exhibit this issue. I run Edge Beta, and she runs Edge Dev.

Here's a spindump I ran from Activity Monitor on my system just now, while Edge was at 140-230% usage.

https://pastebin.com/n5EETNQt

clipboard_image_1.png

@rickyromero Thank you very much for your feedback! Are you and your wife on the latest versions of Edge Dev and Edge Beta? There have been some product changes made recently addressing high CPU usage on Mac. The changes are in Edge Dev but have not made it to Edge Beta yet. If you are still experiencing issues on the latest versions, can you please submit in-product feedback and we can follow up with you for more information if need be. 

Thanks!

Thank you Coddy. We will start the investigation. The logs are collected when you go into the app tap on Overflow menu (… on the footer) > Send feedback . check "Send device information"
Sorry I haven't replied.
Yes, the box was ticked when I've shared the feedback from within the Edge browser app.
I hope that and the dumpsys and logcat I've shared in my previous two post will suffice.

I've just noticed that filtering by the PID which has the high CPU usage instead of activity (u0aXXX) in the dumpsys output I get those two:
* Googlequicksearchbox package
* Google firebase activity
With the latter being know to causes undesirable effects around app developers. TBN I'm not an app developer but I've read forums while trying to debug something else and bumped into discussions about firebase integration in apps and wrong configurations/calls that would result in misbehaving. Those are my 2 cents.

Thank you @Coddy for the additional details. I shared it with our dev team. We are still investigating this. I will give an update as soon as I have one. thanks again.

@josegime47 

@Allison_Pastewka

Now that the new Edge Chromium is stable, we have this comparison:

Edge two users with 3 open pages each 1,232.4 MB

Slimjet two users with 3 open tabs each 321.3 MB

Firefox with 6 open tabs 1,367.7 MB (FF doesn't have users)

Thanks.

@Allison_Pastewka Yes that is exactly why I came here. I sent feedback, including screenshot and diagnostic data, plus TaskMgr is visible - same page sitting doing nothing on both UWP and Chromium Edge. New edge is keeping my fans running all the time when I'm doing nothing at all and UWP idles at less than 1% - here's part of the email I got - hope you can find it

Just as a reminder, on Mar 25, 2020, you told us:

CPU usage 10x UWP Edge when doing nothing on the exact same page. Why is Chromium Edge keeping my[…]

Hi @Allison_Pastewka, I have concern in huge RAM usage on main msedge.exe process and it still keep expanding.

I've opened over than 4000+ tabs & used built-in tab discarding feature to help kill any unused tabs.

I've opened the Microsoft Edge for a month and never restarted them because I have 7 incognito session with 90 tabs

Screenshot_232.jpg

Screenshot_231.jpg

@chandr1000 

Spoiler

@chandr1000 wrote:

Hi @Allison_Pastewka, I have concern in huge RAM usage on main msedge.exe process and it still keep expanding.

I've opened over than 4000+ tabs & used built-in tab discarding feature to help kill any unused tabs.

I've opened the Microsoft Edge for a month and never restarted them because I have 7 incognito session with 90 tabs

Screenshot_232.jpg

Screenshot_231.jpg

it's Only using 5 GB after 1 month and 4000-5000 open tabs and you think it's too much?

no browser is supposed to run like that non stop, it's bad for a lot of reasons. the biggest reason is security. Microsoft regularly releases security updates (among other things) for Edge browser and the updates patch the vulnerabilities in the software.

there are also bugs in every software and the updates fix them and improve the overall experience.

when you use the browser non-stop for 1 month, you miss all of them, because browser needs to be restarted to be updated.

also the way you use InPrivate mode is also not ideal. I'm not trying to judge or anything, just stating the obvious facts. InPrivate mode is for short term usage. to keep your work separate from your main browser session, you can add different offline profiles to Edge and dedicate each one to a bunch of your tasks.

@josegime47 

Spoiler

@josegime47 wrote:

@josegime47 

@Allison_Pastewka

Now that the new Edge Chromium is stable, we have this comparison:

Edge two users with 3 open pages each 1,232.4 MB

Slimjet two users with 3 open tabs each 321.3 MB

Firefox with 6 open tabs 1,367.7 MB (FF doesn't have users)

Thanks.

1. Which channel/version of Edge?
  2. on What OS and build/version?
  3. which version of Firefox?

@Karl Fasick I tried to find your piece of feedback but was unsuccessful. Can you please respond to the email that you got? This will make it easier for our team to find your initial feedback.

Thanks!

@Allison_Pastewkasorry was hard to find - I just did reply to the original feedback response. It is under my work address. Along with the reply I pasted in your request here so hopefully they can tie together.

Is it possible to create a new profile tied with same Microsoft Account?

@chandr1000 

@chandr1000 wrote:
Is it possible to create a new profile tied with same Microsoft Account?

Nope, I just tried and got this message

gfdgfdg.png

You used to use InPrivate mode so using offline profiles shouldn't be a problem