I read this article https://boingboing.net/2019/06/11/browser-wars.html and had a question afterwards.
Will Edge follow Google in its decision to restrict ad-blocking to only enterprice, or has it not been decided yet?
Arguments for following Google:
- It'd be basicly Chrome with Microsoft skin
- It would maybe result in a closer relationship with the Chromium-team
- Chromium Edge would stay Chromium, resulting in "less" reasons for choosing Chrome.
Arguments against following Google:
- Adblocking would stay (a big reason to choose Edge over Google Chrome if Chrome does not have it)
- Relations with Chromium team would worsen
- Edge would be more "proprietary" = less open-source = people would get mad
Thanks for your question.
One of the great things about our new browsers is we are improving it and fixing it on how are users want it, and really taking in the feedback to build a great Microsoft browser for everyone.
That being said, there is not any news that I know about on Microsoft's side about this.
My personal opinion: We are following the direction of what are users want to improve our browser, not what other browsers want.
more about this: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Manifest-V3-Web-Request-Changes/m-p/690313/highli...