Google Earth also not supported in Edge Canary

MVP

it says

Oh no! Google Earth isn't supported by your browser yet. Try this link in Chrome instead. If you don't have Chrome installed, download it here.

Version 76.0.145.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

this is laughable how Google is doing this on purpose. it's something as simple as adding a user-agent to their sites which they could've done this a long time ago when the new Edge first released. Edge Canary has a lot more features and capabilities than google chrome. 

27 Replies

@tomscharbach 

i don't know about your story...as nastyaaelisya mentioned, earth only checks for user agent, not browser capability. that's shady af

Even if you changed the user agent, Google Earth still wouldn't work with non-Chrome browsers. Google Earth currently uses NaCl as I mentioned in my other reply. It uses wasm in beta. There are lots of wasm flags in Chrome/Chromium/Edge. If you want to show your support, enable it and use the beta! :3

@Deleted Google does many scummy things but this ain't one of them. Just try changing your user agent via an extension and the production version still won't work.

@HotCakeX "i don't know about your story..."

I have no idea what that means, but the fact is that the "normal" (that is, current production) version of Google Earth for browsers uses PNaCl and the Google Earth beta uses WebAssembly.  Google Earth for browsers does not run on mainstream modern browsers (e.g. EdgeHTML or Firefox), period, because modern mainstream browsers don't support PNaCl,

"earth only checks for user agent, not browser capability"

That may be, but since the current production version of Google Earth doesn't run on any mainstream browser other than Google Chrome (the only mainstream browser currently supporting PNaCl), checking the UA to see if the browser is Chrome (and not anything else) seems an efficient way to block users whose browsers won't run Google Earth before the browser tries to open Google Earth and crashes.  

I have low opinion of Google.  The whole Google ecosystem is an intrusive data-mining operation.  I don't use Google products or services (Chrome, Gmail, Docs, Earth, YouTube, etc.) unless I have absolutely no alternative, either in the Windows environment or in the Linux environment.  In short, I'm not a Google fan, and I think that users who uses Google products and services are opening themselves up for invasion of privacy.  But in this specific instance, I don't think that Google is up to anything.

it's maybe the case here (i have not tested) but when you saw on google website or another "website optimized for google chrome" it's a bull**bleep**, they tested it on chrome but not "optimized it".

Or simply the message "hey our services work's better in chrome" bull **bleep** as well.
For me google has lied so much about it that now it's lying by default unless evidence to the contrary.

one more thing, i havent respond with tat yesterday since i haven't find it but : https://www.ghacks.net/2017/04/18/google-makes-the-new-google-earth-chrome-exclusive/

or 

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/07/15/firefox-68-aboutcompat-launches/

Firefox have to add some functionnality to bypass the google's politics of systematic bloquation of other browser than chrome

This has like nothing to do with "optimisation". It has to do with PNaCI and WASM. The reason Google is to blame is because they didn't develop WASM quickly enough and went with proprietary first.

I agree with your other comment and that it's scummy that they advertise Chrome like that. By the way, YouTube Polymer is also slow on Chrome/Chromium. It's just horrible. I highly recommend you try out an extension that gets you the old YouTube. It's like night and day

You've deleted your account so I have no idea if you can see this or not tho

Anonymous:  "Firefox have to add some functionnality to bypass the google's politics of systematic bloquation of other browser than chrome."

No. 

Firefox, Edge Chromium and other modern browsers should not have to adopt legacy technology like NaCl or do workarounds in order to run outdated Web apps like Google Earth.  Google should port Google Earth from the outdated, legacy and depreciated NaCl engine to the current standard WebAssembly engine. 

The good news is that Google is in the process of doing so in the Google Earth beta, and that beta, although fluky in spots, seems to work reasonably well with Firefox and other modern browsers.