Full Screen Video Issues

Copper Contributor

When playing video in full screen on any website like Youtube, Twitch or elsewhere the video starts flickering and having serious issues as soon as any playback controls or other overlays are visible (e.g. when moving the cursor).

It seems like the screen jumps back and forth between the current frame and the first frame that was rendered when the controls became visible.

What is even stranger: When I open Windows Game Bar and start recording the screen, the issue vanishes. As soon as I stop recording, the same problems reappear.

8 Replies
Hello,
Which Edge insider channel and version are you using?

@HotCakeX 

Dev channel version 78.0.268.3

But I am having this problem months now.

Full screen video in other browsers like Firefox works fine btw.

I use Youtube a lot on Edge Canary, and I haven't had those issues. I ran Edge Dev & Beta in sandbox and was able to use full screen and half screen just fine on a various of videos. I guess we'll see if others chime in on this. I wonder if it could be your graphics card or graphic card settings/drivers (needing updating) too?

@GaRv3 

oh for months..

can you try turning off hardware acceleration in Edge insider settings? see if it helps

Annotation 2019-09-17 235315.png

by the way, are you using updated Windows 10? (i.e 1903)

sometimes I have the same problem on Edge insider Canary and Google chrome Canary.

Yes I keep all my software updated (including the drivers).
Turning off hardware acceleration actually fixes the error. But this is just a workaround...
How can we identify the source of the problem? I am using an RTX 2070 btw.

@GaRv3, which driver are you using for your video card?  Is it the driver the gets downloaded from Microsoft Update, or the drivers from Nvidia?  Thanks - Elliot

@Elliot Kirk 

Using 436.30 from Nvidia.

I am having the same problem with an AMD RX 5700 XT