SOLVED

French Edge (and other languages)

Copper Contributor

when will I be able to test the French version?

12 Replies
best response confirmed by tigrebleu (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi @tigreblue, we are working on getting our full language support soon. In the meantime, please let us know how you feel about all aspects of our new browser.

Hi @tigrebleu

What's up?

It worked for me like this:
- Go to edge://flags/
- Search for "language" without quotes
- Find "language localization"
- Change from "default" to "enable".
- Restart your browser
- Go to edge://settings/languages
- Click on "Add languages".
- Choose your language
- Click on the "3 points (more options)"
- Check the box "View Microsoft Edge in this language".

@luizruiz : Your step by step procedure is very clear and works perfectly.  Many thanks for having had the patience to put it together. 

Which leaves me wondering why this setting is not outright more immediately and directly accessible...

Thank you!

I noticed that in the last version available disabled this procedure, I don't know why, but the item is disabled in the options.

@luizruiz Yeah, that's one of the few mysterious choices implemented by the development team that baffle me a bit. Like the setting for modifying the default search engine, which is buried somewhere under a heading that is totally unrelated. (under Services, if I remember correctly) 

@Bluez ,

Exactly! well that's right, this same function was well hidden, and now disabled. Anyway, as we're user insider preview we'll have more news or not every time we update. I changed the language to my native language, which is Portuguese, I live in Brazil, and now I can not return to the default language of the browser, English.

@luizruiz 

the "flag" approach did not work for French. the flag is no longer available. the "settings" approach lets me add "French" (my default for Windows itself) and "English Canada". in both case the "tick box" (use this language) is greyed out. like it was with flags. the only "active" tickbox is for "English".

@tigrebleu 

I'm surprised that you encountered this problem (if I understand well what the problem is... which can always be questioned!) 

I have my choice of language set as 'French'. The checkboxes are greyed out, yes, but the default 'English' is selectable. I imagine that If I now revert to English, the 'French' checkboxes will become active again.

In fact, i'll try right now. 

Just tried it out. I switched back to 'English', which is again the language of my interface, and 'French' checkboxes have become selectable, again. The whole process is smooth, very logical and simple. I suppose @luizruiz has had the same experience with 'Portuguese'.

Now, i'll revert to 'French'.

Yeah! Works! :thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

@luizruiz thanks a lot, it worked like a clock here (displaying Brazilian Portuguese language on build 77.0.197.1).

Show de bola @vista_fan89!

Que bom que deu certo!! Abraços!

@vista_fan89 wrote:

@luizruiz thanks a lot, it worked like a clock here (displaying Brazilian Portuguese language on build 77.0.197.1).

@Bluez 

you gave me the idea that my choices were not implemented yet and that I should try to add "French-Français" (generic French). Lo and behold, it worked! I now have a French Edge. thank you a million time!!!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by tigrebleu (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi @tigreblue, we are working on getting our full language support soon. In the meantime, please let us know how you feel about all aspects of our new browser.

View solution in original post