[Feature] What would you like an option to be able to disable automatic updates on the new Edge?

Steel Contributor
8 Replies

@Ismael Martinez IMO, no, it should be enabled, so that everyone is on the latest version of the browser with the latest features and fixes, to reduce the fragmentation. Plus one of the reasons for the new Edge on being a Win32 app is to enable frequent updates between all the versions of Windows...

I would say no - I mean, this is an Insider app, so everyone using it signed up knowing that it would come with updates, and the developers probably want us to test the latest version so they can get more up-to-date feedback. I could see using a "pause updates" button - maybe you are trying to recreate a bug that occurred. But I almost feel like we already get that choice when deciding which version we're going to download (Canary, Dev, whatever the most stable is). However, maybe i'm in the minority :\

@Ismael Martinez  I do not favor giving users the ability to disable browser updates on Edge Chromium, either during the Insider period or after the browser has been launched.   Browsers are among the most vulnerable components of modern computing, and security concerns far outweigh user choice in the matter, as far as I am concerned. 

@tomscharbach I understand the security section but at least be able to temporarily postpone the update for example a maximum of 48 hours, assuming that we are in the final version of the product. After those 48 hours Edge automatically updates as soon as it opens again.

Do you understand what idea I'm talking about?

Thank you very much for the answers.

@tomscharbach  ha escrito:

@Ismael Martinez  I do not favor giving users the ability to disable browser updates on Edge Chromium, either during the Insider period or after the browser has been launched.   Browsers are among the most vulnerable components of modern computing, and security concerns far outweigh user choice in the matter, as far as I am concerned. 

@Ismael Martinez "I understand the security section but at least be able to temporarily postpone the update for example a maximum of 48 hours ... Do you understand what idea I'm talking about?"

No, I did not.  The post said "an option to be able to disable automatic updates", and said nothing about "temporarily".

It is about discussing in this post the feature and polishing it among all. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Thanks.

@Ismael Martinez Personally I'm to see edge chromium being updated via the Microsoft Store).

But on the other hand I would like Microsoft to follow its own guidelines in its store and have a UWP application.

While keeping chrome, unfortunately not all is possible :\

@Deleted I guess it would be downloaded from the store, but would be updated automatically through another update process, not through the store, like the browser updates itself today.
Moreover, there is no compulsion of only UWP apps being in the store. Plus, since now the rendering engine is shifting to Chromium based, we can see Edge being put into the store.

However, this also paves the path for Chrome to appear in store, like they previously did it for Chrome being in store for Windows 10 S devices...