FAVORITES: If You Want Normal People To Like Your Browser, You Have To Do MUCH Better With Favorite

Copper Contributor

What a flustercuck Favorites are!

Had IE, then Edge, now Edge Dev.

Imported Favs to Edge, they ended up in a folder called "Imported From IE".  Early on, there was a way to open up the Edge Favs folder within File Explorer and clean up the mess that the import from IE created.

Then some genius decided Favs needed to go into a database and now you need a third party app to edit the database.

Then comes along Edge Dev.  The importation process does that same stupid thing, dumping them into an "Imported from Edge" folder.  The third party app can't find Edge Dev's database so now no way to clean up the importation mess.

YES, there is a "Manage Favorites" function in Edge Dev, but it's sorely lacking.  I cannot drag and drop an individual favorite from within a folder and put it at the top of the hierarchy.  I cannot bulk-select and move.

These are the kinds of basic UI things that drive average users CRAZY and generate support calls.  People WANT to be able to slice and dice their favorites the way they want them---otherwise they will HATE your browser.

9 Replies
I've used the manage favorites and you can move folders and favorites urls, but you have to hold it for a month of Sundays before it shows any sign of life and being able to move..... It's the pits..... On my system it takes 2 to 3 minutes just to move one folder/favorite.......

Dennis5mile

@Dan Sarandrea@Dennis5mile Thank you both for your feedback.  We are still working on the Favorites page, but we hear you.  Beyond bulk moving, and better performance what would you expect to see in the management page?  How often do you actively manage your favorites?

@Elliot Kirk 

I'm glad to know that you're working on the favorites page.

Ohala let's see that work soon.

Thank you very much for all your work!!

---------------------

(En español)

Me alegra saber que estais trabajando en la pagina de favoritos.

Ohala veamos pronto ese trabajo.

Muchas gracias por todo vuestro trabajo!!

@Elliot Kirk As long as you make it so the Favorites Manager can do everything to Favorites that File Explorer can do to files, you'll be OK.  That means using the same keyboard conventions (Shift to select contiguous multiples and CTRL to select non-contiguous multiples, folder creation and nesting, and the option to set single favorites at the top level of the hierarchy rather than only in folders).

And either get rid of the "Imported from Blah" folder, or at least offer the option to import Favorites into that folder or to import at the same hierarchical level as the source. 

@Elliot Kirk 

And please, please, let us show "icons only" on the favaorites bar, like IE.

I don't manage my favorites often enough....because it is so difficult. When working a project I tend to dump links to pages of info I will need to look at into a folder. at the end of the project there are some links I would like to keep and others that should be deleted.

but.....what I have is folders with unneeded link / dead links because they are so old / duplicate folders because of either the import mess or sync issues..........

I used to have a deadlink / favorite icon checking app ----but that was long ago (PCmag).

Thank you everyone! This thread has some great feedback, and I have sent it to the team that does favorites.  Please keep giving us your feedback, and more importantly your challenges.  It is really helpful to know that people want to be more on top of management tasks, but feel like the tools are insufficient.  There might also be some room to use smart heuristics to group some favorites together automatically, removing the need to manually manage all of your favorites.

@Elliot Kirk wrote:

@Dan Sarandrea@Dennis5mile Thank you both for your feedback.  We are still working on the Favorites page, but we hear you.  Beyond bulk moving, and better performance what would you expect to see in the management page?  How often do you actively manage your favorites?

I would  like everything that @Dan Sarandrea  has mentioned plus just to be able to D&D any file/folder to where I want immediately and not have to click and hold and wait, and wait, and wait till it comes to life before I can D&D it.  And some one mentioned in this thread about the Fav bar and only showing icons, which if you remember is something I posted about way back at the beginning of all this ..... on this post here Favorites Bar...   @Elliot Kirk 

Other than that I'm good

Dennis5mile

@maryandmike wrote:

@Elliot Kirk 

And please, please, let us show "icons only" on the favaorites bar, like IE.

Yeah, I've got a post on this very thing here on this post.  Comment on it and get it pushed to the top again....   @maryandmike 

Dennis5mile