Extensions - Chrome or Microsoft Store?

Microsoft

so if an extension is available on both stores, should I use the one from the MS Store?  and do I need to use the Win 10 Accounts extension to get SSO?  

56 Replies
Hi...not yet. We are in the process of setting up the submission process. Stay tuned for more updates soon!
Thanks for reporting this. We will take a look into this issue.

@Mike Glenn 

"one annoyance with the Microsoft Store—aside from the version being older—is, I couldn't find extension versions"

This is because it was closed for direct 3rd party submissions. So it was presumed whatever version is there is the latest one anyway. Hope, it will change - more openness is due.

@Avi Vaid  CC: @Balaje_Krishnan

I replied with all the info.  I still am experiencing the same results.  We have AAD connect and Seamless SSO enabled.  When I use IE or Chrome (with the win10 extension) to any MS cloud I pass my Win 10 UPN and I login with no prompts (example portal.office.com).  If I try to use Edge Dev and use the account button on the top right.. and enter my UPN i am told its not a valid Microsoft account (see screen shot).  If i just go to portal.office.com its asking for username.. and that is clearly not SSO.

@Eric_Lawrence 

Was it a good idea to strip Edge Chromium from PNACL component? It wasn't on the Edge roadmap anyway. So you refer to Google estimates to stop PNACL support by 2nd quarter of 2019? But as a recent Google employee you are well aware that PNACL was slotted for departure years ago, and developers demanded it to stay since WebAssembly doesn't offer even half of API calls available for PNACL now. It will  take years to really add this functionality if ever, and then years again for developers to convert their apps.

Are there any technical challenges in offering PNACL plugin as a separate download through Edge Store for those users who needs it? So far the only reply you elected is deleting Twitter posts of those users who asked for it, thus making it look like no-one's asking. But it contradicts current MS official openness with users policy. 

Because it will objectively take years to move to WebAssembly, and you know it well - can you answer a simple question here - are you able to offer an installable PNACL plugin, or ship it temporarily with Edge until conversion of the existing apps in fact  happen? This is a normal practice of companies who honor their user and developer base.

P.S. This post content was recorded for future references.

@sambul95 The Edge team presently has no plan to ship PNACL, and we currently maintain the understanding that Google plans to remove this extension from Chrome starting this quarter.

I would be interested in better understanding the specific sites on which you are using PNACL content.

(It sounds like you're a bit confused about how Twitter works; Twitter doesn't allow one user to delete another user's post.)

@Eric_Lawrence 

I won't refer to the sites like Google Earth you already head about, despite they are important for millions of users. But as was discussed recently on various other boards, there is a large number of Chrome apps relying on PNACL, and they are all blocked now on Edge Chromium. For those unfamiliar with NACL, try this quick demo.

One typical example, Movian Media Center is a popular 10MB addon shipped packed with numerous legit online cinema site plugins many folks admire, with handy media search feature, access to media collections and info DBs, bookmarks, all kind of local disk, LAN, URL, torrent link playback, and more. Installable on various platforms, including via Chrome on Windows. You know millions of students and low income folks carry cheap laptops and devices, but still love to watch HD video content on them, including torrent streams and online movies? That's were Edge comes handy due to more efficient video processing compare to Chrome owing to "better integration with OS". :)

But you are stripping users of the major media playback incentive to move from Chrome to Edge, thus voluntary cutting off a large prospective pull of brand new customers who never used Edge before. Is it really that hard to allow users to download that small PNACL plugin? Look at Edge popularity figures - despite evident and primary advantages in video playback!!! Isn't it your duty as an Edge PM to contribute to its success?

@Mike Glenn I am on build 18898 (20H1).

@Eric_Lawrence 

"I would be interested in better understanding the specific sites on which you are using PNACL content."

You are artificially narrowing the subject to specific websites support. Despite Google again clearly committed to broader continuing applications and extensions support  in Update on PNaCl support:

"We are now revising the deprecation timeline and setting Q2’2019 as the formal target to remove support for PNaCl from web content.  We will continue to support PNaCl in Chrome Apps and Extensions beyond that date."

May I remind you the MS promise to "improve compatibility with other Chromium-based browsers" and content so users would be able to use a single browser MS Edge for any task, also confirmed at MS Build 2019. Pls watch this video.

As you know, Edge Chromium supports 20-year old long abandoned by MS legacy apps to comply with enterprise customers wishes. While you strip consumers from modern apps still supported by Chromium with NO cutoff date. MS Edge is a Windows component. Consumers and extension devs pay for Windows just like enterprise customers do, and deserve the same respect and support. You're exposing MS to possible top legal challenges by subjecting 5 mln per month Google Earth users such senseless discrimination.

What I suggest is offering PNACL plugin install on demand through Edge Store. I also think it deserves discussion with management as a matter of compliance with MS Policies and promises. Does it really require that much effort to allow consumers using all extensions from Chrome Store? While complaining on Twitter "Google may cut off Edge access to YouTube" etc... Aren't you do the same now with users and developers relying on PNACL extensions?

@Balaje_Krishnan 

Its not clear to me from this whole thread if the hybrid device support fro CA polcies is included in the Windows 10 Extension. I have CA rules with hybrid device conditions that do not fire when using both canary and Dev versions. Can someone clarify the status of this feature ?

Cheers

Stephen

@SteveOhh we are still working on enabling AAD sign in to Edge. Once it is enabled, you should experience the following. 

1. When you try to sign in with with the account control in the top right
  2. You will see a "Work or School Account" option as per the attached picture
  3. You can then sign in with your AAD account
  4. Then when you visit portal.office.com -> you will be automatically signed in to it

As for timelines, AAD sign in should be coming soon :) 

@SteveOhh we are still working on enabling AAD sign in to Edge. Once it is enabled, you should experience the following. 

1. When you try to sign in with with the account control in the top right
  2. You will see a "Work or School Account" option as per the attached picture
  3. You can then sign in with your AAD account
  4. Then when you visit portal.office.com -> you will be automatically signed in to it

As for timelines, AAD sign in should be coming soon :) 

@Dave Chomas 

Apart of choosing the right store to install extensions from, its important to understand what value extensions carry. This forum aims to collect suggestions and bug reports to make a better browser. Naturally, installed extensions themselves represent the best suggestions supplied to devs by millions of users. 

By gathering telemetry on what extensions users install, how often use, and what kind of features they add to the show, the devs can then add to the browser the most popular features in a more integrated professional manner compare to 3rd party extensions. In that regard extensions represent the largest richest testing pull of new ideas, best of which the devs can capitalize on.

@Avi Vaid 

Hi There. For clarity regarding the update and how it relates to the original intention of this thread. Will this update include the ability for Chromium Edge to share the device status for evaluation by Azure Conditional Access ?

@Eric_Lawrence 

Has this issue been resolved. Its really hard to tell. Can't find any updates on this forum. I need Edge Chromium on a hybrid joined device to be recognized by conditional access rules.  I was under the impression that this was coming but I don't see any news on this. 

Does the old Chrome extension provide this capability if installed. I tested and it didn't seem that way ?

Anyone have an update on this ?

@Stephen Kerkmann 

This works for me.  But you have to log into Edge with your AAD account that is subject to the conditional access.  If you log in with any other account it won't work.

You don't need the extension either, as I don't and it works fine.

@Wesley Horn 

Got it. Yes that worked. Has the requirement for login to edge been debated. That seems like it might be extra work to rollout or communicate in an enterprise environment ? 

Thanks again.

Stephen