Extensions - Chrome or Microsoft Store?

Microsoft

so if an extension is available on both stores, should I use the one from the MS Store?  and do I need to use the Win 10 Accounts extension to get SSO?  

56 Replies
It's not really clear what you're suggesting here, but you can use Google sites in Edge today.
Great, thanks.

@Dave Chomas -- Although the extensions in the Microsoft Store have been tested, I know that its version of Grammarly does not work. You'll have to get the one from the Chrome Store if you want a working copy.

@Balaje_Krishnan  Looking forward to it.  Any ideas of when ? 

Thanks

Raja

@Balaje_Krishnan Any updates to this?  New install, domain joined and going to portal.office.com requires me to enter name and creds. 

@NicolSD  & @Dave Chomas  - the issue with Grammarly from Microsoft Edge Addons store should now be fixed. Can you please check & confirm?

We do not have a date as of yet; as we get closer to getting the portal ready for developers to submit, we should be announcing at https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/ with more details including steps to publish etc.

@SteveOhh - let me check with my team on this again & I will get back to you.

Hey @SteveOhh , you should not be receiving a cred prompt on portal.office.com. Could you help us with a repro for this?

1. What platform are you using? If Win10, what version?

2. What account are you signed into the browser with? (check the profile control right next to the smiley in the address bar)

3. What version of Microsoft Edge are you running? (check edge://version)

CC: @Balaje_Krishnan

@Balaje_Krishnan It is indeed working. But while I've got someone on the line, I've discovered a new bug in rendering pages that started yesterday with Canary build 76.0.151.0 but I am not sure if I will be able to describe the bug properly without inserting more than the one automatic picture allowed by Mr. Smiley. How can I do a proper bug report that will make its way to the right channel without using Mr. Smiley?

At present, the feedback button is the only one to use. If we have the repro URL and steps, that should be enough, even without any kind of screen recording, etc.

(The hacky workaround, if you want, is to just get all of your screenshots together in, say, MS Paint, and put that window next to the Edge window such that it's captured in the full-desktop screenshot).

@NicolSD 

Question: "How can I do a proper bug report that will make its way to the right channel without using Mr. Smiley?"

Answer: By going HERE

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 I am aware of that page but there is no way to add images to your report. I was hoping to report it here and that someone from Microsoft could pick it up. Oh well, I'll do as @Eric_Lawrence suggested.

@NicolSD 

Nicol,

No, no, hang on, listen...  A named person writes to you in response & then, everything & anything can be put in mail to that person.  Been there, done that, have the T-shirt.  Can do all that's possible via E-mail in direct correspondence with the same (named) individual.  And is with actual ticket #s.

Cheers,
Drew 
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 Yeah, I plan to do that whenever someone decides to write back to me about the bug. It's just that I wanted to make my initial report as complete as possible, ie. with all the things I have found about the bug. What I ended up doing is creating multiple clips appropriate sections of pages that show both what it Canary displays and what it should look like.

I have two monitors: one large, one small. I put them on the small screen with the page renders on the left side and the right renders on the right side. The main screen had one bad page in Canary and the same page displayed properly in Edge Classic.

My bug description referred to all the images. Although I cannot replicate the problem on all my installs, I thought that showing examples of bad and good renders side by side would help the folks at Microsoft figure out what kind of problem it is. I also included a workaround that allows me to temporarily make Canary render the pages properly.

@Avi Vaid 

I am not logged in at the bowser level.. and I cannot use my O365 account as it says its not valid.  We have Azure Sync and SSO set up.. we don't have to "log in" with IE today as it uses our Windows 10 creds.

Windows 10 OS Version 1803 (Build 17134.706)

Microsoft Edge76.0.152.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit) 

@Balaje_Krishnan Hello Balaje, is there any update on the dev portal for Edge extensions being made ready? Great work on the Mac port by the way :)

@Dave Chomas wrote:

so if an extension is available on both stores, should I use the one from the MS Store?  

I take the approach of always installing extensions from the Microsoft store first—if available there. If not, then I look in the Google Chrome store. This is probably the most helpful approach for providing Insider feedback to "Edgium" browser and extension developers.

That being said, about a week ago, I had to uninstall the Microsoft Store LastPass extension (ver. 4.26 at the time) and install the Chrome Store version (4.27 at that time) instead as the former was presenting "An error occurred while attempting to to contact the server". This was a minor issue because waiting a couple seconds and clicking the LastPass extension again revealed that it actually connected successfully. Nevertheless, I wanted to see if the Chrome Store version would resolve this issue and it did.

BTW, one annoyance with the Microsoft Store—aside from the version being older—is, I couldn't find version info on any extensions—other than by installing them. So, there's no convenient way to check if/when the Microsoft Store version has been updated. This kind of annoyance could drive more tech-savvy users to the Chrome Store—if it's still the case after Edgium is released.

That being said, about a week ago, I had to uninstall the Microsoft Store LastPass extension (ver. 4.26 at the time) and install the Chrome Store version (4.27 at that time) instead as the former was presenting "An error occurred while attempting to to contact the server". This was a minor issue because waiting a couple seconds and clicking the LastPass extension again revealed that it actually connected successfully. Nevertheless, I wanted to see if the Chrome Store version would resolve this issue and it did.

@Mike Glenn I wish the solution was just as easy for me. I have tried both versions and I still get the same error message.

"I wish the solution was just as easy for me. I have tried both versions and I still get the same error message.@NicolSD 

That's strange. What version of Windows are you running?  I'm on 1903 build 18362.116 (19H1 Release Preview). It may not be relevant. I'm just curious.